Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes June 19, 2008

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page

Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes
June 19, 2008
Isleford Neighborhood House Library

Attendance:
David Thomas, Chairman Harbor Committee
Phil Whitney, Harbor Committee
Roy Hadlock, Harbor Committee
Richard Howland, Harbor Committee
Bruce Fernald, Harbormaster
Norman Sanborn, II, Harbormaster
Eric Dyer, Facilities Supervisor

I. Call to Order: 5:04 P.M. by Chairman David Thomas.
II. Approval May 15, 2008 Harbor Committee Minutes
David Thomas moves to accept the Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes as written for May 15, 2008. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. (4-0) Motion passes.
III. GIS / Mooring Mapping
Emily Thomas has been helping with documenting latitudes and longitudes for moorings from mooring data sheets. Hope Rowan of the Island Institute will be mapping out the moorings next week with David Thomas. It is hoped to do all moorings for all of Cranberry Isles.
IV. GCI Dock Update
Harbor Committee Member Ted Spurling will be the contact person for the GCI Dock Repairs. After further research, additional stairs on the west side of the dock will not be recommended by the Harbor Committee. Kleinschmidt is working on the engineering for a more sufficient wave fence. The Harbor Committee does recommend moving the gallows frame to the end of the dock to make the second set of current stairs more accessible for use. Eric Dyer will convey this recommendation to the engineers.
V. Manset Seawall Update
The Facilities Supervisor reports that electrical and water lines are being run from the Manset Facility, underneath the Shore Road to the Dock for lighting on the dock and floats. The Harbor Committee wishes to convey to the Town that the Manset Seawall repairs are a high priority at this time as erosion continues. A bid package needs to be developed and approved.
The Deputy Clerk is asked to forward the October 11, 2007 Kleinschmidt Report for seawall repair to the Harbor Committee Members.
The Board of Selectmen has asked the Harbor Committee to review long-term planning for a vehicular accessible dock at Manset. Eric Dyer is trying to get the plans previously compiled in digital format to forward to the Harbor Committee Members.
VI. Interaction with other Town Committee / Heads
A. Transportation Committee
The Transportation Committee is in the process of collecting information from year round islanders by using a questionnaire. An ice cream social will take place on both Islesford and Great Cranberry for the opportunity to discuss transportation issues. Ron Axelrod and Kate Fernald are the co-chairs of the Transportation Committee. Many of the issues for the Transportation Committee appear to require that the Harbor Committee and the Transportation Committee work together. Harbor Committee Members Phil Whitney and Richard Howland are also members of the Transportation Committee.
The Harbor Committee also interrelates with the Planning Board as the Harbor Ordinance requires review for marine structures. This process still needs some ironing out and may require meetings to be called on short notice.
According to the Land Use Ordinance, the Code Enforcement Officer has the authority to approve seasonal docks, without Planning Board approval. Process for this type of approval needs to be worked out between the Harbor Committee and the Code Enforcement Officer, as the Harbor Committee is to review all marine structure plans. Concerns with the omission of the Harbor Committee in the process include, but are not limited to displacement of moorings, and navigation.
B. Municipal Advisory Commission
No discussion at this time.
C. Facilities Supervisor
No discussion at this time.
VII. Other Business
• In reference to moorings that may need to be rearranged for barge and ferry navigation, the Harbormasters and the Harbor Committee agree that some rearranging is needed. It would be helpful if pennants were shortened up for the busy boating season. It is decided that, depending on how long it will take to get the moorings in map form, it would be easier to figure out what moorings the Town actually has in its harbors before any rearranging is recommended. If the mapping process should take too long, some decisions may have to be made without the maps.
• It is also discussed that it would make much more sense if the year round fishing boats had the closer moorings in the harbors. Some harbors segregate their fishing vessels from other types of vessels.
• Two Town moorings are owned at the Manset Facility, marked with yellow balls, #102C and #102D. The Facilities Supervisor will contact Matt Knox as it is reported that one of the moorings may have someone else’s mooring ball on the Town Mooring.
• There may also be one of the three moorings at Great Cranberry missing at this time. Norman Sanborn will contact Matt Knox about this.
• Eric Dyer has color coded float tie up limit signs to post at the Town Docks. Norman Sanborn will help Eric with the sign for Great Cranberry. The Harbor Committee will revisit tie up limits at the next meeting.
• Chains connecting the floats at Great Cranberry may still be causing damage to boats and discussion of rope vs. chain is discussed.
• Bruce Fernald asks the Facilities Supervisor to contact the Town Attorney in reference to liability for moving boats that are illegally tied up.
• The next Harbor Committee meeting is tentatively scheduled for July 16, 2008. The meeting will be held at Islesford due to time constraints for the recording secretary on that date.
VIII. Adjournment: 5:00 P.M.
Roy Hadlock moves to adjourn the meeting. David Thomas seconds the motion. (4-0) Motion passes.

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page