Harbor Committee April 24, 2007

Return to Date-Selection Page

Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes
April 24, 2007
Islesford Neighborhood House

Attendance:
Ted Spurling, JR, Harbor Committee
Roy Hadlock, Harbor Committee
Phil Whitney, Harbor Committee
David Thomas, Harbor Committee
Rodney Wimer,Harbormaster
David Thomas, Harbor Committee
Nanette Hadlock, Deputy Clerk
Eric Dyer, Island Institute
Jen Litteral, Island Institute Facilitator
Sally Rowan
I. Call to order: 2:06 P.M. by Nanette Hadlock, Deputy Clerk.
II. Appointment of Chairman of the Harbor Committee.
Phil Whitney nominates Ted Spurling, JR as Chairman of the Harbor Committee. Mr. Spurling accepts the nomination.
Phil Whitney moves to appoint Ted Spurling, JR as Chairman of the Harbor Committee. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. (3-0 in favor, with Ted Spurling, JR abstaining.) Motion passes.
III. Appointment of Secretary of the Harbor Committee.
Roy Hadlock nominates Phil Whitney as Secretary of the Harbor Committee. Mr. Whitney accepts the nomination.
Ted Spurling, JR moves to appoint Phil Whitney as the Secretary of the Harbor Committee. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. (3-0 in favor, with Phil Whitney abstaining.) Motion passes.
IV. Nominations for Islesford Harbormaster
The following nominations were taken from the floor of the Harbor Committee Meeting and were suggested by voting members of the committee.
· Nicole Racliff
· Sally Rowan
· Bruce Fernald
· Richard Howland
· Stefanie Alley
David Thomas moves to close the nominations and present to the Board of Selectmen for consideration. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. (4-0 in favor.)Motion passes.
David Thomas will discuss the harbormaster nominations with Stefanie Alley, Bruce Fernald, and Nicole Racliff.
Ted Spurling, JR will discuss the harbormaster nomination with Richard Howland.
V. Proposed Appointment of the Island Institute Fellow to assist with the inventory/mapping process of the moorings provision of the Harbor Ordinance.
GIS technology equipment may be available through the Island Institute or possibly the College of the Atlantic to use for the mapping of moorings. Working on the mooring plan is part of Eric’s job description as Island Institute Fellow for the Town of Cranberry Isles. Selectman Lief is aware of Eric’s proposed involvement with the inventory and mapping process for moorings.
Funds may be eventually needed to purchase licensing for the software for town computers. Eric Dyer has the licensed software for his own computer, but the town may want access to this capability in Eric’s absence.
David Thomas moves that Eric Dyer, Island Institute Fellow work with the Harbormaster(s) on the mooring mapping / inventory process for the Town of Cranberry Isles. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. (4-0 in favor.) Motion passes.
VI. Proposed Appointments of Alternate Harbor Committee Members(section 3.2.1 and section 8.6 of the Harbor Management Ordinance)
Jen Litteral will draft a warrant article for a special town meeting to ask for permission to change the Harbor Ordinance in order to appoint two alternate members to the Harbor Committee. (section 3.2.1)
VII. Agenda Responsibility
Nanette Hadlock and Jen Litteral will coordinate together to prepare the agenda for the next Harbor Committee Meeting on May 22, 2007 at Great Cranberry Island.
VIII. Committee Meeting Procedures
Meetings will be posted following a one week notification of the date, location, and agenda. This notification shall be posted in the post offices located on Great Cranberry and Little Cranberry Islands. (section 3..2.3)
IX. List of Qualified Contractors for Mooring Inspection (section 6.4.3)
Suggestions so far for the list of qualified contractors for mooring inspection include the following:
· Matt Knox
· Ken Eaton
· Chalmers Enterprises
· Ted Spurling, JR
· Roy Hadlock
· Wesley Bracy, JR
-The Harbor Committee suggests that these individuals be contacted to seek their permission to be included on the mooring contractor list. There may be other qualified individuals interested as well.
- A list of boat registration names and addresses is requested from the town office by the Harbor Committee. The Deputy Clerk will follow up with this request.
- Roy and Teddy will draft the simple guidelines for self inspection of moorings, as well as the checklist for inspection for review / approval at the May meeting.
X. Designated Responsibilities of the Harbormaster
It is suggested to ask the voters for a change in section 6.4.1 of the Harbor Management Ordinance. The change is suggested for the providing of documentation of full inspection to the town office, rather than to the Harbormaster(s).
XI. Simple Guidelines for Self Inspection of Moorings (section 6.4.3)
Previously discussed, #IX.
XIV. Signage (section 7.4) (Taken out of order)
Jen Litteral will go through the ordinance to check for information that may need signage.
XV. Designation of Responsibilities
Harbor Committee Members will review responsibilities lists for the Committee, the Board of Selectmen, the Town Office, and Harbor Users / Mooring Owners for discussion and recommendations at the May meeting.
Section XII, Mooring Inventory List, and Section XIII, Forms Needed of today’s agenda will also be discussed at the May meeting.
XII. Other Business
None at this time.
XIII. Adjournment: 3:41 P.M.
Phil Whitney moves to adjourn the meeting. Ted Spurling seconds the motion. (4-0 in favor of adjournment). Motion passes.

Return to Date-Selection Page