Transportation Committee Meeting Minutes January 31, 2009

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page

Meeting Notes
Transportation Committee Meeting, LCI -INH- Library
Saturday January 31, 2009
Notes prepared by Axelrod & Fernald

Attendance: Phil Whitney, Skip Stevens, Katy Morse Fernald, Barbara Myers, and Ron Axelrod, by phone; also attending late Anna Fernald, Courtney Chaplin
There were no comments on the Dec. 27, ’08 Meeting Notes. The work done since last meeting was: (Action items in bold print)
1. Warrant and Report drafted for inclusion in Town Report. The Report was inadvertently not circulated to Committee members. Action Item: Kate to email to all after the meeting. The $10,000 requested for Committee use for legal and engineering costs in the Warrant was reduced to $5000.
2. Phil updated the Committee on email dialogue with Paul Pottle of MEDOT concerning legal ownership and jurisdiction of our docks. The email is attached to these Notes. Phil followed up with Dan about initiating contact with Town attorney. Dan responded yes, but no action has been taken. It was decided that Ron and Kate would try to formulate within a week a list of questions that need legal opinion and inform others for input via email.
3. Barbara will be contacting Jennifer Litteral at the Island Institute to see what resources are available on waterfront issues.
4. Kate reported on gathering Town of Mt. Desert (TofMD) information from their website concerning the usage of NEH docks. A segment of that information from the website is attached to these Meeting Notes.
Discussion of Next Steps:
1. Katy and Barbara will formulate questions to the Town of Mt. Desert Town Manager in order to establish a liaison with the TofMD concerning the TCI Transportation Committee and our interests. Phil to bring up at BOS meeting for their blessing. Katy to email BOS to make them aware of this concern and their approval.
2. Phil to initiate discussions with Steve Ruell, engineer from Kleinschmidt Engineers concerning the safety issues, focusing on his Report and the impact of the early and late boat ferry service, as well as anticipated consulting fees.
3. A combined meeting of our Committee and TCI Harbor Committee was felt to be important due to the overlapping interests and sharing information. Phil and Richard Howland are on both committees and Phil offered to bring the request to the Harbor Committee.
4. The legal questions of TCI rights over town owned docks would be developed by Katy and Ron as mentioned above.
5. The sequence of bringing the Committee recommendations for improved ferry service to the BOS and Town was discussed. The TC Town Report introduces to the community in an outline as well as a more formal way about the service we are proposing. We are looking for input at the Town meeting, Monday, March 9th.
6. Ridership information was received from one Beal and Bunker and soon to be received from Cranberry Cove in order to understand complete ridership.

Next meeting: a call in meeting to Eric Dyer will take place Thursday, March 5, 2009 at noon.

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page