Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes March 17, 2009

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page

Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Islesford Neighborhood House

Attendance:
Richard Howland, Chairman, Harbor Committee
Roy Hadlock, Harbor Committee
Ted Spurling, Harbor Committee
Phil Whitney, Harbor Committee
Sally Rowan, Board of Selectmen
Eric Dyer, Facilities Supervisor
Ron Axelrod, Transportation Committee
Skip Stevens, Transportation Committee
Nanette Hadlock, Deputy Clerk
Luke Abell
I. Call to order: 4:07 P.M. by Chairman Richard Howland.
II. Review / Approval Meeting Minutes November 06, 2009
Richard Howland moves to accept the Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes as for November 06, 2008.
III. Leary Dock Application
The Harbor Committee has received official notice from The Bureau of Parks and Lands that Robert and Nora Leary are intending to construct a 6 ft. by 60 ft. pier supported by a granite crib at the seaward end, with a 3 ft. by 40 ft. ramp and 16 ft. by 26 ft. float extending approximately 80 feet beyond the mean low-water mark on submerged land. The proposal would be used for private recreational purposes. The location is listed as Cranberry Harbor, Maypole Road (actually Sand Beach Road), Little Cranberry Island, Hancock County, Tax Map 22, Lot 04. According to Harbor Mooring Maps for the Town of Cranberry Isles, it appears that the roposed dock may interfere with five to six moorings at the location. A seasonal dock is permitted through the Code Enforcement Officer; the Planning Board permits permanent docks, as stated in the TCI Land Use Ordinance for the Shorelands. The deadline for public comment to the Bureau of Parks and Lands is Thursday, March 19, 2009. Harbor Committee concerns with this project are that the proposed plans for the dock will require relocation of moorings in the area.
Questions and Concerns are:
• Should the registered moorings be required to move for a seasonal dock?
• If the moorings were to move, should the whole field be required to move outward, as opposed to making a few moorings move outside of the field? (If this were to be the plan, many more than 5 to 6 moorings would be affected.)
• Who would be responsible for costs of the re-rigging and move of the affected moorings?
• The shallow location at all tides for the proposed dock
• Should all proposed docks, seasonal or permanent, go before the Planning Board for review / permitting? (This would require a change in our current land use ordinance.)
Islesford Harbormaster Bruce Fernald will contact Mr. Leary by telephone to explain mooring concerns. It will be suggested that the cost of moving the moorings may be his responsibility if this plan of action were to occur.
Roy Hadlock moves to have a town official call the Bureau of Parks and Lands to comment on the mooring issue and to write a letter expressing concerns to be faxed to the Bureau of Parks and Lands by Thursday deadline. Richard Howland seconds the motion. Motion passes.
Selectwoman Sally Rowan will contact the Bureau of Parks and Lands tomorrow (Wednesday).
Richard Howland will go to the Town Office on Wednesday to draft a letter to be faxed to the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
IV. Float Contracts
The deadline for float contract bids is March 31, 2009 by 3:00 P.M. at the Town Office. The Selectmen will award bids a the April 07, 2009 Board Meeting. Main floats are to be in at GCI, LCI, Sutton and Manset by April 15, with a two-week
allowance beyond that date.
It is suggested by the Harbor Committee that new hook-ups for the eighty foot gangways at GCI and Manset be installed along with the dock repairs that are currently underway. The Facilities Supervisor reports that work on the side of the
dock where floats are attached is being worked on now.
V. FTA Grant Implementation
The Facilities Supervisor estimates that the new eighty foot gangways for GCI and Manset will most likely be built next fall. The 40 foot gangway currently for GCI will be installed at LCI at that time. The gallows frame at LCI will likely need to be moved or widened. An engineering contract for the work will require a signature by Selectmen, then Department of Transportation. Also included in the engineering package will be plans for dolphin piles between the barge ramp and GCI Dock, and also between Islesford Dock Restaurant and LCI barge ramp.
The Facilities Supervisor reports that the repairs to the bumper pile and the gallows at the top of the stairs at LCI Dock are scheduled.
VI. Transportation / MAC Meeting
A joint meeting of the Harbor Committee, Transportation Committee, and the Municipal Advisory Committee is suggested to discuss overlapping issues. Ron Axelrod of the Transportation Committee reports that the short term priority is safety improvements. Teleconferencing will be available. Other long term goals will also be discussed. This meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, April 16, at 4:00 P.M. Ron Axelrod and Richard Howland will put together an agenda for the meeting.
VII. Ramp Fees
At the October 29, 2008 Board of Selectmen’s Meeting, a motion was passed to raise ramp fees from $2.50 per landing to $5.00 per landing as a preliminary measure, with a question being posed to the Harbor Committee as to overall recommendation on ramp fees, and the operation of all people using the ramps.
At the November 06, 2008 Harbor Committee Meeting, the Harbor Committee recommended researching the average number of trips paid for in the past by barge companies, and charging a set fee per year for usage of our Town ramps. Due to the difficulty of enforcement the set fee seems like a logical answer. At the March 09, 2009 Annual Town Meeting, Voters decided to amend Warrant article 3, passed at a
Special Town Meeting held on July 31, 2001, to allow ramp usage fees collected and held in escrow to be used broadly for all harbor related repairs, maintenance, and capital projects including, without limitation, work done on town docks, ramps, floats, gangways, moorings, lights, and buildings. Before this vote, ramp fees were only to be used for ramp maintenance. It has been suggested that fees for using our docks might also be charged.
Richard Howland moves to discuss ramp and dock fees with the Transportation Committee at the joint meeting in April. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. Motion passes.
VIII. Steve Palmer’s Boat
In reference to a boat owned by Steve Palmer which is below the high tide mark at near the Town Field at Islesford, the Harbormaster has spoken with Jeff Berzinis who estimates a cost of less than $1000.00 to remove the vessel. It is reported that Mr. Palmer intends to take the top off the boat, remove the engine and other salvageable parts, then move the rest with his own excavator. The Islesford Harbormaster will contact Mr. Palmer in reference to this situation.
IX. Recommendation to Board of Selectmen for Harbor Committee Vacancies
A. Vacancy created by election to BOS by Sally Rowan
Some discussion takes place as to whether Sally Rowan might still be able to serve on the Harbor Committee, regardless of her recent election to the Board of Selectmen. It might actually be favorable to have a Selectmen on the Harbor Committee, just as the Transportation Committee has Selectmen on their committee. Alternate Member Barbara Stainton is recommended by Phil Whitney to fill a vacancy for Harbor Committee if she is interested. GCI Resident Scott Bracy is also recommended if interested.
B. Vacancy for alternate position, if necessary
Previously discussed in Subsection IX, A.
X. Audience Communications
None at this time.
XI. Adjournment: 5:45 P.M.
Roy Hadlock moves to adjourn the meeting. Richard Howland seconds the motion. Motion passes.

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page