School Board Meeting Minutes June 11, 2008

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page

Cranberry Isles School Board
Minutes of 11 June 2008

I. Meeting called to order at 3:08 P.M. by chairperson Kate Chaplin.
Present: School board members Kate Chaplin, Barbara Meyers and Ted Spurling; Principal Carol MacRae; Superintendent Rob Liebow; teacher Linsdsay Eysnogle
II. Minutes of previous meeting (5/28/2008) reviewed and approved with the following amendment to Item V., A.: Change “Rob also recommends her, as does Lindsey.” to read “Rob Liebow nominates Katrina Shambarger.” Moved by Barbara, seconded by Kate. Vote: yes, unanimously.
III. Principal’s Report (Taken out of order after Item V.):
A. Carol presented a tentative schedule for board meetings for the coming school year
B. Carol expressed concern that Great Cranberry Island residents might like to share in school events. She suggested that performances such as music, drama, etc. might be held on GCI. The board is supportive (no vote taken).
C. Carol also suggested that some board meetings be held on Great Cranberry. The board agreed to meet on October 29 (Wednesday), 12 Noon, at the Longfellow School on GCI.
D. Food storage at Islesford School for lunches for GCI students. Some discussion of a larger refrigerator to accommodate. Lindsay suggested non-perishable foods to avoid refrigeration. The board is supportive (no vote taken).
IV. Discussion Item
A. Pre-school for 2008-2009: Carol asked if the board approves this program, tentatively for one-half day per week. Lindsay reported that the teachers approve. The board expressed enthusiastic approval (no vote taken).
B. Art, Music, Drama: Carol reported only one applicant to date. Kate said that we should interview that applicant. Board agreed (no vote).
C. Bid Proposal for Construction Project: Carol reported that no bids have been submitted, but the deadline is June 21. She asked if the board should meet the following Monday to consider any bids that may have been submitted. The board agreed to meet on Monday, June 23 at 4:30 P.M. at the Islesford School.
V. Action Item:
A. Authorization to Transfer Funds:
1. Motion by Kate, second by Barbara to transfer $5000 from budget to emergency special education reserve. Vote: yes, unanimously.
2. Motion by Kate, second by Barbara to transfer money received for Medicaid reimbursement to emergency special education reserve. Vote: yes, unanimously.
B. Approval of Notice of Intent for Alternative Organization Structure (AOS) and Progress Report to Department of Education: The intent of the board is now to submit a reorganization plan to form an AOS instead of an RSU (See separate sheet). Motion: Kate: Second: Ted; Vote: Yes, unanimously.
VI. Other Business:
A. Transportation: Barbara is also on the Island Transportation Committee and asked if this board would like to formalize plans for a boat schedule to accommodate off-island activities. Kate said that the Transportation Committee should consider the School Department a business when businesses are interviewed about their needs.
B. Update on Mount Desert School Board meeting of June 4: Kate attended that meeting with Steve Philbrook for the purpose of planning 7th and 8th grade off-island activities. Kate said that after talking with former island students she believes that such activities with MDES could help the transition to high school. Barbara suggested the possibility of the Islesford School becoming a magnet school. Discussion continued about MDES. Kate asked if we should hold a community meeting. She said that of three considerations (peer group, academic and extra-curricular) she believes that peer group development is the greatest need. Ted said that in recent years there have been more off-island activities. Kate asked if we should drop the effort. Lindsay said no. Carol suggested talking with Scott McFarland, principal at MDES. Suggestion to talk with Cranberry Cove Boating. Program would be inherently parent-driven. When to hold a community forum? With the Transportation Committee? Kate said that this is a school issue; the school should initiate. Should we combine with board meeting of June 23? Agreement not to. Should we draft a survey first? Lindsay volunteered to draft the survey. The board agreed to e-mail in the meantime with ideas.
VII. Adjournment at 5:03 P.M. Motion: Kate; Second: Ted; Vote: yes, unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,
Theodore L. Spurling, Jr.

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page