School Board Meeting Minutes December 18, 2009

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page

Cranberry Isles School Board
Minutes of Meeting of 18 December 2007

I. Meeting called to order by chairperson Kate Chaplin 1:15 P.M.
Present: Board members Kate Chaplin, Barbara Meyers, Theodore Spurling; Supt. Rob Liebow; acting principal Carol MacRae; and Lise Pratt for the Municipal Advisory Committee.
II. Voucher reviewed and signed.
III. Minutes of meeting of 28 November reviewed and approved (motion: Barbara; second: Kate; vote: yes, unanimously).
IV. Discussion Item:
A. School Consolidation: Education Commissioner Gendron has rejected the proposal by the Regional Planning Committee. Review of the strongly-worded letter to Ms. Gendron from Rep. Hannah Pingree and discussion, led by Rob, of our options. More forthcoming at the next RPC meeting.
B. Budget for 2008-2009: Review only. No action.
V. Action Item: Nomination and election of principal (Due to a technicality of State retirement fund, Carol had resigned as principal and has offered her services on a volunteer basis since October). The board reviewed applications and resumés from two candidates. Rob recommended Carol MacRae. Kate nominated Carol; seconded by Barbara. Vote: yes, unanimously.
VI. Other Business:
A. Review of the letter sent to D.M. Construction (David Meierdirk)concerning failure to deliver services roofing the Longfellow School after having been paid for the materials.
B. For budget discussion at next meeting:
1. Roof of Longfellow School.
2. Siding and landscaping at Islesford School—we have $10,000 budgeted for siding; should be completed spring 2008.
C. Generator: Transfer switches to be installed at Longfellow and Islesford Schools to allow hookup. Carol to call electrician.
D. Salaries: Increase for music, other part-time teachers: 3.5% this year.
E. Music instruction: There has been a request from a parent to allow a music teacher to stay longer for additional private instruction — possibly during school time or after school. This may require a special boat or an overnight stay. General interest and agreement about this by board members: Barbara said that this might attract teachers with better qualifications. Discussion about funding: REAP money available? Could we try this on a pilot basis? Should we subsidize, but not fund fully? Should this be offered in the summers? Could REAP be used for music camp? Could this concept also be used for additional language training? No action taken.
F. Polycom on Great Cranberry: Barbara asked about the possibility of one for meeting attendance there. Kate suggested calling Apple Computer for this. Carol will ask Lindsey. This could be used for town-related meetings as well, allowing more flexible schedules.
G. Coat hooks: Barbara asked if these could be lowered in the hallway at the Islesford School; and if cubbies and benches could be installed, as the entry area is disorganized. Some discussion about adding equipment to a narrow hallway in light of fire codes—but to be investigated.
H. Adjournment 2:50 P.M.
Respectfully submitted,
Theodore L. Spurling, Jr.

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page