Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes October 18, 2010

<<< Return to Board of Selectmen -Minutes Selection Page

Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 18, 2010
Islesford Neighborhood House
(Continuation of October 06, 2010 BOS Meeting)

Attendance:
Richard Beal, Chairman BOS
Sally Rowan, BOS
Chris Hathaway, BOS
Eric Dyer, Facilities Supervisor
Denise McCormick, Town Clerk
Nanette Hadlock, Deputy Clerk
Wanda Harmon Porter, Local Health Officer
Katelyn Damon
David Axelrod
Dan Lief
Evelyn Boxley
I. Call to order: 8:33 A.M. by Chairman Richard Beal.
The November Board of Selectmen’s Meeting will be scheduled for Thursday, November 04th, with a weather postponement date for the following day, if necessary. Tuesday, November 04th is Election Day.
II. Review / Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes
Not discussed.
III. Review / Signing Financial Warrants
Warrant # 51: $ 11, 329.72
Warrant # 51 is signed by the Selectmen authorizing payment to John Goodwin, JR for retainer fee for work completed on the new barge ramps at Islesford and Great Cranberry Island.
IV. Correspondence
Previously discussed, October 06, 2010 BOS meeting.
V. Municipal Advisory Commission Liaison
A list of prospective individuals for a liaison to attend Town of Mount Desert and Town of Southwest Harbor meetings has been submitted to the Selectmen for approval by the Municipal Advisory Commission (MAC). None of the individuals suggested by MAC have yet agreed to serve as liaison. Selectman Hathaway will call individuals on the list to ask for their willingness to participate. This item will appear on the agenda for the November BOS meeting.
VI. Old Business
A. Fire / Rescue
i. Americorps Position
The Public Safety Committee, formed to help interview and recommend an individual for the AmeriCorps Position to help with emergency response, announces that Katelyn Damon of Islesford is recommended for the job. Two excellent candidates applied for the position. Billye Senecal, regional coordinator for the program, made the final recommendation which was based on the enthusiasm for the position by Ms. Damon.
Sally Rowan moves to accept Katelyn Damon for the position of AmeriCorps position. Chris Hathaway seconds the motion, with a unanimous vote by Richard Beal. Motion passes.
The Town will help with boat tickets for transportation and some office supplies for the position. At this time Dan Lief and Hugh Smallwood are the supervisors for the position. Mr. Lief recommends a job description be developed and strong supervision is available.
Richard Beal moves that the public safety committee be continued for a period of one year throughout this AmeriCorps position, that all boat tickets be paid for in the performance of her duty, that Dan is the supervisor of the AmeriCorps employee, and that the Town set aside up to $300 for supplies, a desk and appropriate office space, whether it’s in the firehouse, the town office, or both for whatever working conditions may exist. Chris Hathaway seconds the motion, with a unanimous vote by Sally Rowan. Motion passes.
Denise McCormick recommends that someone from Great Cranberry Island would be desirable to serve on this committee. At this time no one from Great Cranberry Island has expressed interest in working with this committee, but the committee is still open for participation from GCI.
ii. Neil Courtney Update
Activity on the fire and EMS study by consultant Neil Courtney was halted for the busy summer season. Now that the AmeriCorps position is being filled, and officers are in place for the Islesford department, the opportunity to devise a long-term plan for service enhancement should be imminent. Mr. Courtney has suggested a system be ready for mutual aid from Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor. Effort will be made to work with the GCI volunteer fire
department as well.
iii. IVFD Update
Officers were selected for the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department as follows:
Fire Chief: Richard Howland
Assistant Chief: Jeremy Alley
President: David Thomas
Assistant President: Bruce Fernald
Secretary: Eric Dyer
Treasurer: Denise McCormick
Updated Fire Department rosters from both departments are requested for Town insurance purposes. Two Islesford Volunteers will be attending the Firefighter Academy. A training was held last Saturday for Islesford Fire
Department. Budget requests from all fire departments are requested to be submitted to the Selectmen sometime by the end of December.
Selectman Beal suggests that a badge be purchased for the fire chief. Dan Lief suggests that the Town consider hiring emergency personnel.
B. Cranberry Road Work Change Order
As the result of an error on the change order request (additional slate material) dated August 18, 2010, the Town was billed for work that was already part of the original contract. The change order stated: “Continue the 2” slate topping to the end of Harding Point Road from the current end point and the full length of the Heliker-Lahotan Road after the gravel fill & grading on both.” The change order should have stated Jimmy’s Point Road instead of Harding Point Road. The intent of the change order from the beginning was to finish all side roads with slate. Goodwin is agreeable to whatever solution the Town wants to pursue. An overpayment of approximately $6000 if the work is not continued. Approximately 20% more funds will be needed to complete the work as intended due to additional transportation costs; some additional work will be required. The work could be completed this spring with grading work. Materials are currently stockpiled on Great Cranberry Island. Selectman Beal recommends budgeting the additional funds for March Town Meeting and continuing the work. Recommendations and estimates will also be requested for Merrill Road at Islesford to present to the voters. Additional calcium chloride will also be a budget consideration. The Facilities Supervisor suggests appropriate road closure notifications and policies in the spring as large vehicles could create damage to the slate roads.
C. Extended Schedule Ferry Service
ii. Signing of 2010 – 2011 Ferry Service Contracts (taken out of order)
Steve Pagels has asked permission to tie up in between runs and overnight at the GCI Town Dock with the Island Queen for ease of use for the commuter service. This has been deemed a bad idea due to weather conditions at Spurling Cove. A mooring will be used to keep the passenger ferry on. The commuter ferry service schedule has been posted on both Islesford and Great Cranberry, as well as on the municipal website.
The Board of Selectmen sign a contract with Downeast Windjammer Cruises for an expanded passenger commuter ferry service to add an additional weekday morning and evening ferry run between Northeast Harbor and Great Cranberry Island and Islesford.
i. Signing of Ferry Subsidy Grant Documents
An agreement in support of the commuter ferry service is presented to the Selectmen. The agreement is between the Town Of Cranberry Isles and the State of Maine, Department of Transportation for a subsidy in the amount of $22,000 for a period of two years, (07/01/2010 through 06/30/2012). Approval will be needed at the annual March Town meeting to continue the commuter service for the second year.
Richard Beal moves for Denise McCormick to sign all of the blank requests the FTA project contract for a transportation service. Sally Rowan seconds the motion, with a unanimous motion by Chris Hathaway. Motion passes.
iii. Use by School Children
Selectman Hathaway who has been attending school board meetings since his election to the Board of Selectmen, reports a question of how is the town going to be charged for Beal & Bunker boat tickets for students who are boarding off island and attending Mount Desert Island High School. These tickets are to be used by the two students attending MDI High School for commuting home and back to school on weekends. Katelyn Damon, school board member, states that the school board is” concerned just with use of the tickets, and is there going to be one universal school use ticket, whether they’re riding the morning boat – the Beal & Bunker boat. Who’s responsible for making sure that they‘re not using the tickets when they’re not supposed to be, I guess. If it’s school vacation and they’re using their school tickets, how are we going to make sure that’s not going on, that kind of thing. It’s been a big deal lately, I guess. It’s kind of an ongoing discussion during the school board meetings and stuff, just making sure that with the new boat, that people aren’t coming back. It was kind of a big deal I guess before the schedules changed. Right now it can’t really be a big deal; they’re either off or they’re on. But we were worried that people were coming here and then going off again and kind of double dipping and we don’t want the tickets being used on vacations and stuff like that. I guess it comes down to the kid’s being held accountable.”
Selectman Beal feels it is a personal responsibility, especially for two kids. MDI High School students’ tickets are disbursed by the Superintendent’s office, not on the boat. When a student takes the early commuter ferry, the boat captain keeps track of how many students ride the boat on what days and the superintendent’s office is billed for those rides for high school students. The early morning commuter ferry does not run on holidays or weekends when the students are not attending school.
Selectman Hathaway feels that during winter mode it is not terribly urgent; it will give the school board plenty of time to think about it when the spring comes. “We certainly don’t want the solution to be more expensive than the problem.”
D. Solid Waste Operations and Contract
Previously discussed, October 06, 2010 BOS meeting.
VII. New Business (taken out of order)
D. 2010 HHW / UW Collection Day (taken out of order)
This Friday, October 22, 2010 there will be a household hazardous waste and universal waste drop off at both the Islesford and Great Cranberry Island transfer stations. The hours will be between 8:00 AM and 12:00PM. Notices have been
posted.
E. Town Office Lease and Furnace
As of last Friday when the Facilities Supervisor received a message from Eric Valdina, someone else had looked at the furnace at the town office and they are planning to replace it; it’s in the process.
It had been suggested that a trailer be brought to Islesford, if need be, for temporary town office space, if necessary. Some delays could occur with town business if the town office were to move temporarily, plus set up costs for water and sewer, as well as rental costs for the trailer.
Selectman Beal suggests a warrant article at the March Town meeting, with possible funding, for a new town office. Water and septic would be part of this plan for a town office as well as the fire house. Projected costs and plans would need to be ready for town meeting. The Facilities Supervisor will begin work with an architect / engineers for plans.
Continuation of month to month with renting from the Valdinas for town office space.
Trees still need to be planted at the fire house land on Islesford. This was part of the original plan of construction when the new fire house was built. It is suggested that funds be budgeted for the shrubs to be planted at the location.
F. Sutton Island Road Work
Roy Miller has been recommended by Sutton Island Residents to do some tree cutting and resetting a culvert. He has the equipment and funds have been budgeted. Approximate cost for the project is $3,000 to $5,000. The Selectmen agree to go ahead with the project.
Sutton Island Residents are requesting a partial new build for a boardwalk. This will have lateral runners with a decking, with asphalt paper and stripping along the edges to keep the paper in place. Estimated labor and materials costs are $10,000. One hundred eight foot sections will need to be built and installed.
$14,000 is available for the project. The Selectmen would like to keep this job on the islands if possible. Materials will be brought to the island, stored at the old firehouse by the school.
The new waiting shed / tool shed for fire equipment is still a project to be completed. Basic specs will need to be created. There is approximately $5,000 in Sutton Island Fire Reserve which could help fund the project.
G. Manset Facility
The Municipal Advisory Commission has been working on analyzing the Manset Facility, (costs for running, description of square footage, utilities, etc.). The siding of the warehouse will need to be re-stained and trimmed, roof work will need to be done (long term planning). The facility needs some major structural work. The MAC will meet in early November to finalize the report which will be valuable for budget work. The Town Clerk has heard suggestions to make space for boat trailers, since we are an island community. Some residents are currently storing items in the warehouse without permission or rent paid. Some of the tenants who do have permission are behind on rent. The Facilities Supervisor is instructed to write letters to those who are storing items there without permission and those behind on rent. Leases will need to be written and signed; rent will need to be paid.
Sally Rowan mentions that the float need some repairs as it is leaning, and the ramp was recently off track. The Facilities Supervisor suggests that the moorings need to be changed for the Manset Floats. The Harbor Committee is encouraged to meet and recommend suggestions for fixing the float moorings problem at Manset.
Chris Hathaway recommends that the Harbor Committee revisit the tie up limits at the Manset Dock, as the current policy of four (actually six) hours or permission from the harbormaster for longer, is not enough to do anything off island. Currently anyone who is a taxpayer may get a Manset boat sticker. A policy may need to be created for requirements for a boat sticker.
Dennis Dever is willing to work for a fee next summer as harbormaster for our Manset Facility. Selectman Beal suggests to budget $1,000 for the position, maybe more if he would be willing to also check the parking lot.
The Cranberry Isles Fishermen’s Co Op has been passively talking of interest in the Manset warehouse space.
The draft study from Kleinschmidt for the proposed extension of Islesford Dock has been distributed to the Harbor Committee Members. Nine options for the extension are included in the report. Nan Hadlock will contact the Harbor Committee Members to set a date for a meeting.
Money has been budgeted for study of the Manset Dock enhancement. The Town Treasurer suggests that the MAC start looking into grant monies available for these projects as opposed to financing any further projects.
VI. New Business (revisited)
A. Accept Shoreland Zoning Changes
Not discussed.
B. Accept Site Plan Review Application Changes
Not discussed.

C. Gravel Road Maintenance
i. Initial Review of Cranberry Reclamation Work
Previously discussed under old business.
ii. Changes to Winter Maintenance Practices
Not discussed.
iii. North Woods Road Repairs
Previously discussed under old business.
iv. Multi-Year Maintenance Contract for Town Roads
Not discussed.
D. 2010 HHW / UW Collection Day
Previously discussed.
E. 2011 Budget and Warrant
Previously discussed throughout the meeting.
VIII. Other Business
• The Board of Selectmen signs the General Assistance Ordinance for October 2010 through October 2011. A copy of this ordinance is on file at the Town Office.
• The Town has tax liens for unpaid 2008 taxes on two properties at this time. These liens mature on November 11, 2010. The tax liens will have been on both properties for eighteen months. One of the property owners and their attorney has asked if the town will accept a payment of $1,000 at this time and not take possession of the property on November 11. The property owner has contacted the Tax Collector, asking to set up a payment plan to finish paying the unpaid taxes, since 2007. The Town has a tax payment policy that was passed by the Selectmen on September 08, 2009 that states the oldest taxes must be paid first. The Board of Selectmen would have to make a decision to accept partial payments.
Richard Beal moves the policy is in place; it holds; cure the lien by November 11. Sally Rowan seconds the motion, with a unanimous vote by Chris Hathaway. Motion passes.
IX. Audience Communications
• In reference to damage done to the North Woods Road after grading work was done by the Town, it is reported that the damage was witnessed. The Facilities Supervisor is instructed to write a letter to Courtney Chaplin with Selectmen’s names expressing concern with damage done to the road and offer a chance for him to repair the damage. If no response is received, the Selectmen can have the damage repaired and bill the offender for costs of those repairs.
X. Adjournment: 11:08 AM
Richard Beal moves to adjourn the meeting. Chris Hathaway seconds the motion, with a unanimous vote by Sally Rowan. Motion passes.

<<< Return to Board of Selectmen -Minutes Selection Page