School Board Meeting Minutes October 27, 2010

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page

Cranberry Isles School Board
Minutes of 27 October 2010

I. Meeting was called to order by chairperson Barbara Meyers at 9:15 P.M. in the library at the Longfellow School, Great Cranberry Island. Present: Board members Barbara Meyers, Katelyn Damon and Ted Spurling, Jr.; Principal Carol MacRae; Custodian Iann Krasnow. Also present via computer telecom was Joanne Harriman, assistant to Superintendent Rob Liebow who was visiting brand-new grand-daughter.
II. Approval of Voucher: Reviewed and signed by board members.
III. Approval of Minutes of 28 September: Motion to approve: Barbara; Second: Katelyn; vote: yes, unanimously.
IV. Principal's Report (see sheet):
A. Dates for future events.
B. Events already in October:
1. Busy and tiring for students.
2. The Quebec trip was valuable not only for the cultural experience but for the connection with Tremont students.
V. Discussion Items:
A. Update on school goals: Carol is excited about the direction of schools in the district: The entire system is on the same page. Carol said that each school is distinct but headed in the same direction. Four primary goals:
1. Knowing our students: their strengths, learning styles, likes/dislikes.
2. Focus on essential standards: Goal to have brochure for teachers/parents/students; requirements for school year; systematic approach rather than teacher preference especially with island schools having only one or two teachers and frequent turnover. Joanne Harriman said that the focus is to shift from teaching to learning.
3. Helping students connect with standards through Best Instruction. Joanne: This is different for each student.
4. Using assessments in a very different way than it used to mean (formerly meant a test). Now: Formative assessment every day in classroom so that the teacher can adjust to each student. Joanne: From apparent understanding to genuine understanding. Students develop misconceptions that follow through their lives, and in other subjects. Carol: Goals for each school the same, though the steps may be different: What does the end result look like? How do we know that we've met them? Carol enthusiastic about Superintendent's Office Rob and Joanne being supportive throughout the district.
B. Maintenance, Islesford School: Iann reported no great need at present and recommended the following:
1. Approximately $6000 needed for maintenance for the coming year.
2. New roof at Islesford within five years, $25,000 to $30,000 approx.
3. Cedar shingles south and east sides, within two to three years.
4. Furnace: Possible need for a heat shield.
5. Iann said that there is a need for one plumbing contractor, not several, and for good communication and reliability. Barbara: Find out from community who is reliable for the islands? Some discussion about how and whom to choose. Ted: No need for a board decision to decide contractor for general maintenance the principal or custodian could decide.
6. Iann said that the hole that was dug for the septic tank needs to be covered. It has been uncovered for two months and is dangerous. The board agreed to authorize Carol to have Iann cover it and build an access box for future use (general agreement, no vote taken).
7. Façade at Islesford: Iann said that this is not a concern at this time. Because of the number of students vs. the cost, he believes the project cannot be justified. Barbara: We must address the safety issue of the narrow hallway at some point; the hallway and entrance are not up to code and were mentioned as a concern in the safety inspection of Fall, 2008.
C. Longfellow School: The window replacement has nearly been completed by R.L. White.
1. Barbara: Concerned with poor containment of debris, and lack of tarps under sawing of new material (not lead in this case, but plastic dust). Need for a HEPA filter. Barbara has contacted Chris White of R.L. White. Chris said that he will see that the grounds are vacuumed.
2. Iann: Some concern about cost-cutting measures on the trim, causing aesthetic problems. Katelyn read some items in the contract regarding trim, nail-setting, etc. that do not appear to have been met at this time. However, the board agreed that the job is not yet finished. Katelyn: Trim must be uniform on each window if we cannot determine the original sizes. Barbara said that she will contact Chris White to talk about a satisfactory result. Iann said that he would be uncomfortable calling without specific information about requirements, and without photos or the original. Barbara to ask Chuck Ives at EBS for photos. Iann said that overall the job is fine, aside from the aesthetics and the cost. Iann also said that the contract is extremely vague and if it were not specific enough about the trim not being uniform, that that could be resolved when the siding is replaced. He said that the flashing installation is correct, and that the contractors have pretty much fulfilled their end of the bargain. Katelyn said that Iann should be added to the email list for matters of maintenance and building concerns.
3. Procedure concerning window replacement:
a. Photos of original to be obtained.
b. Nails countersunk and filled.
c. Front awning window to be replaced (?).
d. Cleanup of building and grounds.
e. Trim sizes to be resolved.
f. Iann and Barbara to meet with Chris White on the following Monday, November 1st.
g. Email: cc'd to all concerned.
h. Communicate better with Selectmen.
VI. Future Agenda Items:
A. Student commuting costs and process.
B. Katelyn: Dispose of unnecessary items at Longfellow School (old refrigerator and other obsolete appliances; old paint and supplies, etc.).
VII. Other Business:
A. Barbara: Use of tickets for student commuters to be monitored better.
B. The music teacher, Willie Kelly, has resigned in order to take a position at Maine Maritime Academy. Superintendent Rob Liebow has accepted the resignation for the Board.
C. Carol said that there is a person interested as substitute music teacher.
D. Possibility of Islesford students working with Mount Desert Elementary students. Carol will talk with MDES chorale director Heather Graves and MDES principal Scott McFarland.
E. Joanne said that $9900.00 should be moved from tuition reserve to general fund as voted in June. This will need signatures. Joanne to mail the paperwork.
VIII. Executive Session Pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A. § 405(A) for personnel evaluation. The Board began executive session at 11:00 A.M. and ended at 11:04 A.M.
IX. Adjournment: 11:06 A.M.

Respectfully submitted,
Theodore L. Spurling, Jr.

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page