Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes July 07, 2010

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page

Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes
July 07, 2010
Islesford Neighborhood House

Attendance:
Richard Howland, Chairman, Harbor Committee
Roy Hadlock, Harbor Committee
Jeff Berzinis, Harbor Committee
Bruce Fernald, Harbormaster LCI
Eric Dyer, Facilities Supervisor
Nan Hadlock, Deputy Clerk
Ron Axelrod, MAC (by teleconference)
Janice S. Murch
I. Call to Order: 4:30 PM by Chairman Richard Howland.
II. Review / Approval Previous Meeting Minutes
A. August 12, 2010
Previously approved at the April 22, 2010 Harbor Committee meeting.
B. April 22, 2010
Richard Howland moves to accept the April 22, 2010 Harbor Committee meeting minutes as written. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. Motion passes.
In reference to harbor mapping still to be completed at Spurling Cove on Great Cranberry Island, the Harbor Committee recommends to the Board of Selectmen that the job of taking Eliza Greenman out to finish the mapping project. It is recommended to hire someone with local knowledge of the harbor. The Harbor Committee recommends this be taken care of soon. Funds are available for this job.
III. Elect Chairman 2010
This agenda item was voted on at the April 22, 2010 meeting. Richard Howland is the Chairman.
IV. Manset
A. TEPA Update
The walkway and rails are done at the Manset Facility. The 80 foot ramp is not ready yet.
B. Float Tie Up Limits
The Harbor Committee recommends that a six hour tie up limit be set for the Manset Dock, leaving the head of the dock open for load and unload only. If an individual boater needs a longer tie up time, the Town Office should be notified.
C. Enforcement / Harbormaster
The Islesford Harbormaster has spoken with two of the three Selectmen in reference to hiring a separate harbormaster for the Manset Dock. This item is recommended to be on the August BOS meeting agenda. Jeff Berzinis suggests speaking with Lyle Dever, Southwest Harbor Harbormaster, to see if he might be interested in the position. Jeff will run this by Mr. Dever and report back to Eric Dyer.
As for the Town moorings at Manset, the Harbor Committee recommends tie up at town moorings be for no longer than two consecutive days at a time, unless seeking permission from the Harbormaster.
The Islesford Harbormaster is recommending that the private marker set by Jeff Berzinis in Hadlock Cove needs to be moved over by approximately 50 feet. Mr. Berzinis suggests that shortening up the chain might work. The 500 pound rock for this marker was donated by the Coast Guard and the chain was donated by Southwest Boat.
V. Great Cranberry Island
A. TEPA Update
Barge ramp is complete at Great Cranberry Island. No issues at this time.
B. Enforcement
No issues known.
VI. Islesford
A. TEPA Update
Barge ramp is complete at Islesford. Dolphin pile yet to be set. Culvert will be finished when additional ditching is done on Main Street.
B. Enforcement
The third skiff float will be added soon.
The Islesford Harbormaster is recommending that the private marker set by Jeff Berzinis in Hadlock Cove needs to be moved over by approximately 50 feet. Mr. Berzinis suggests that shortening up the chain might work. The 500 pound rock for this marker was donated by the Coast Guard and the chain was donated by Southwest Boat.
In reference to a proposed extension of LCI Dock, the Facilities Supervisor has distributed layout options for the extension and floats to Harbor Committee Members to look at and comment on. The layout plans were created by Kleinschmidt Associates.
Bruce Fernald reports that the outlets on the Fishermen’s Co Op side of Town Dock are beat up. He recommends moving the outlets to the other side of the dock.
VII. Sutton Island
No issues at this time.
VIII. Other Business
Steve Pagels wishes to speak with Roy Hadlock, float contractor and Bruce Fernald, Harbormaster, and Norman Sanborn, Harbormaster sometime in early October to discuss the commuter ferry service.
Short term safety improvements as suggested by the Transportation Committee were reviewed for progress. The Harbor Committee previously approved all short term improvements. Some items are still to be completed.
The Harbor Committee is still recommending no 80 foot gangway at Islesford due to space restrictions.
The Facilities Supervisor will send an email to all Harbor Committee Members with layout plans. A small committee is desired to be formed to work out the plans for a proposed dock extension.
IX. Adjournment: 5:55 PM
Richard Howland moves to adjourn the meeting. Roy Hadlock seconds the motion. Motion passes.

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page