Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes July 20, 2007

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page

Harbor Committee Meeting Minutes
Friday, July 20, 2007
Islesford Neighborhood House Library
Attendance:

Teddy Spurling, Chairman
David Thomas, Harbor Committee
Phil Whitney, Harbor Committee
Roy Hadlock, Harbor Committee
Richard Howland, Harbor Committee
Eric Dyer, Facilities Supervisor Jen Litteral, Island Institute
Nan Hadlock, Deputy Clerk
Bruce Fernald, Harbormaster
Rodney Wimer, Harbormaster
Ricky Alley, Commercial Fisherman
I. Call to order: 2:43 P.M. by Chairman Ted Spurling, JR.
II. Review / Approval 06/20/07 Meeting Minutes
David Thomas moves to postpone the review/approval of the 06/20/07 meeting minutes until the next scheduled meeting. Ted Spurling seconds the motion. (5-0) Motion passes.
III. Mooring and Docking Issues
· GCI Harbormaster Rodney Wimer reports that there are some spacing issues with new moorings placed this year in the GCI Harbor. Wesley Bracy has helped the town by moving the moorings at a cost of $10.00 per mooring. Mooring owner Chris Moore reports that his mooring cannot swing a 40’ boat now, and it used to be able to. Mr. Wimer will follow up on this issue. Mailings are expected to be sent soon, informing boat owners that mooring balls must be labeled with the owner’s or boat’s name. Dropping lines on mystery moorings may take place only as a last resort.
· Island Institute Representative Jen Litteral announces the availability of SHIP (Shore and Harbor Improvement Projects) Grants. Applications are being taken now, and site visits will take place in September and October. $100,000,000.00 extra has recently become available for grant applications.
· Tie up for contractors who are working at the islands is recommended by the Harbor Committee. New skiff floats will hopefully be installed soon which may help the congestion of tie-up at our town floats.
David Thomas moves that when the new skiff floats are installed, preference be given to contractors commuting for a day job while tying up. (Reference Section 4.4.2 of the TCI Harbor Ordinance). The Harbor Committee requests the Harbormasters allow flexibility with contractors on time limits. Phil Whitney seconds the motion. (4-0) Motion passes.
· Thank you to Eric Dyer for having solar lights installed at the Manset Dock.
The lights are not currently marine grade. The Manset dock aprons have been reinforced.
· A suggestion has been to replace the chains on GCI main float to ropes. There might be a reason chains are used instead of ropes, but chains have been the traditional hook up since before the current float contractor. If ropes were used, then more dinghies could tie up inside the float without risking damage from chain chafe. Funds are available for float maintenance.
· It is reported that a lobster fisherman from GCI is storing his bait on the Town Float. Concern arises in reference to unsafe slippery decks. According to the Harbor Ordinance, items left on the float must be removed after 72 hours.
· Islesford Resident Rick Alley reports that due to new mooring placement at GCI and Sutton Island, he cannot set his fish bait trap in traditional grounds in these locations. One mooring at Sutton and one mooring at GCI are affecting the traditional usage of the trap. Mr. Alley suggests that the mooring at GCI could be relocated 20 feet towards Long Ledge to remedy the space problem. Mr. Alley will speak with the mooring owners and the Harbormasters are asked to not permit the setting of any more moorings in these two areas until the mapping of the harbors / moorings is complete.
· It is also suggested that the tar paper on the Islesford gangway be replaced. Eric Dyer will follow up with this request.
IV. Harbor Mapping Project
Monies from the Shore and Harbor Grant previously received by TCI have paid for Jen Litteral’s services and will also pay for the software needed for mapping (at a cost of $1238.93), and mailings to boat registrants informing them of Harbor Ordinance regulations. Jen Litteral will set up the system and the mapping is hoped to begin early this fall.
V. Signage Update
Harbormaster Bruce Fernald recommends that the stenciling of dock and tie up limits continue on both Islesford and GCI main and skiff floats.
VI. Mailing Update
David Thomas moves to have Eric Dyer write a cover letter to include with informative mailings to boat registrants. Also to be included in these mailings will be the mooring data sheet and mooring maintenance guidelines. Richard Howland seconds the motion. Motion passes.
VII. Adjournment
Roy Hadlock moves to adjourn the meeting. David Thomas seconds the motion. Motion passes.

<<< Return to Date-Selection Page