School Board Meeting Minutes October 17, 2012

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page

PRELIMINARY OENDING APPROVAL
School Board Meeting Minutes
10/17/12

I. Meeting called to order at 2:47 pm. Present at the meeting: School Board Members: Katelyn Damon, Barbara Meyers, Kate Chaplin, Superintendent Howard Colter, Principal Heather Webster, Jeri Spurling, Ben Fulves. Via Skype (hopefully) at Islesford School – Donna Isaacs and Lindsay Eysnogle
II. Voucher – discussion regarding a policy on submission policy for room and board. Questions on how to assess accuracy of a submitted bill. Might want to consider making a policy based on other schools. Heather to discuss with Nancy on the 29th at their meeting.
III. Approval of Minutes – complaints from Town Office and island residents that minutes are not forthcoming. BM: What can we do to improve? KC: audio file ALWAYS available upon request. Would consider putting them on a thumb drive and uploading, but don’t want to create extra work unless asked for. Some minor changes on them. BM: Moved to accept minutes of 8/6, KC 2nd, all in favor. No discussion on minutes for 9/26. BM moved to accept, KC 2nd, all in favor.
IV. Discussion of building projects and updates:
a. JS: Presented “Option 2” as worked on in previous workshops for Longfellow School Renovations. Discussion on merits/drawbacks of design. This design is anticipation for future use as school. Its approval allows us to modify certain spaces that are priority at this point, rather than renovating the entire space all at once. Can accomplish the critical piece of a stair to basement. Will submit this portion of the plan with our fire permit requests. Don’t need construction plans yet – just dimensions. KC: I move that we use the design presented as “Option 2” for guidance purposes in the submittal of building permits from the State Fire Marshall’s office and for planning future construction projects at Longfellow School. KD: 2nd. Unanimously approved.
b. ABS: BF – part of code remedies involve making the front stairs comply with safety codes and Federal ADA law (a certain portion of any renovations must be dedicated to ADA compliance) – combining two objectives. JS: Four designs created, each addressing. Discussion followed on different designs and their inherent merits. Option 2: (ramp on west side of entry, steps on east side) was approved for further development, with some modifications – deck over up to the edge of ramp and extend porch by roughly three to four feet, and extend stairs to side of building.
c. BF: Consider installing a sprinkler system in the Longfellow School and first floor. Proposal submitted: do next summer at Ashley Bryan School or schedule to be done over Christmas vacation so as not to disrupt classtime. BM: How does this affect the budget? BF: Both are expensive and go beyond our initial budget for ABS, so will have to dip into Longfellow portion of funds, but both are critical for the safety of the building. Estimate from Maine Fire Protection: $23,000 for ABS, (does not include $1000 in mechanical room or carpentry components). Longfellow for $30,411 (including mechanical room). KD: Question about lead abatement efforts in ceiling. BF: Ceiling needs to be tested at Longfellow School for lead. Should have a representative from the school to conduct tests on the interior of the building. KD: Move to approve moving forward on installing sprinkler and fire suppression system at ABS and Longfellow School, shooting for a Christmas Break installation or fall back during February break.
d. BF: Where are we on the custodian position at Longfellow School? HW: No applicants for the position. Do we ask Jim to take on interim position? BF: Rodney Weimer asked if we could break out the lawn maintenance piece and not do the other caretaking piece. BM: Will ask Ingrid what the library’s plans are for the that. KD: Maybe formal caretaker is too much, and someone who can simply be a contact is sufficient? Has anyone approached Rick or Ingrid Gaither to simply be a contact? Let’s approach. HW to re-think the job description and get back to us.
V. Action Items
a. Transportation: need to track mailboat expenses and who gets to be paid for. Heather to establish guidelines for “clipboard” process. Also to create a policy for transitioning students.
VI. Other business – Carol in process of planning job description for Longfellow School. Heather is on it.
VII. Future Agenda Items
VIII. Meeting adjourned at 5:15 pm.

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page