05/22/13 School Committee Meeting Minutes

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page

School Board Meeting Minutes
5/22/13

I. Meeting called to order at 3:20 pm, Ashley Bryan School, Islesford. Present at the meeting: School Board Members: Barbara Meyers, Katelyn Damon, Kate Chaplin, Superintendent Howard Colter, Principal Heather Webster. Community members: Phil Whitney, Ingrid Gaither, Jeri Spurling, Amy Palmer, Anna Fernald, Melissa Amuso, Joy Sprage (joining at 3:33). Teacher, Donna Isaacs (joining at 3:30). Projects coordinator: Ben Fulves
II. Approval of Voucher
III. Minutes for 4/24/13, 5/3/13, 5/7/13, 5/9/13, and 5/13/13 approved. BM – moved to approve as amended (for clarification). KD – 2nd. BM moved to approve all minutes 5/3, 5/7, 5/9, 5/13, KC 2nd. Minutes approved.
IV. Reports and updates
a. Updates on Building Projects (Ben Fulves) –
i. Been a very busy month – preparing construction documents and bid documents for each of the parts. Projects broken down into smaller parts. Someone coming out to look at setup for sprinkler system next week. Looking to start immediately after school year ends. Foundation work for front entry and staircase in the back. Letting local people get “first dibs” on any work they want, then opening up to others. Firm start date on things within the next week and week and a half. Will update as things happen.
ii. Continuing to work on a mast project list with costs associated for next fiscal year. Not finished, but well along. Should have it finished within the next week or so. HC Projects not happening around students, right? BF: Yes. HW: Fire Marshall report re Longfellow School? BF: No answers yet from him. Will let us know when does, hopefully in time for next meeting: June 26 at GCI in the reading room of Longfellow School, 4:30.
b. Principal’s Report – HW
i. Upcoming events – two more Fridays at YMCA swim. Dental workshop with Dr. Park in NEH on Friday. No school on Mem Day. June 13 is the date for the “ungraduation” party. Smartboard installed in Donna’s room. Students working on Service Learning Project. Have narrowed down what they want to do. Still working on a date for a community meeting to determine what to do. Kids decided on improving seating in the schoolyard for parents.
ii. Longfellow Building – heat was out for a short spell in April
iii. Staff – Serena Spurling filling in for Gail on Wednesdays. Some ads out for Special Ed position. No specific interest, but likely to come in over summer.
iv. Curriculum – attended workshop on engaging students and teacher/admin reflections. Very informative.
v. Two professional development days – reviewing MWEA’s, how to use scores to inform instruction not just for individual students but for school. Writing workshop based on Lucy Caulkins’ workshops through Columbia University.
vi. Crisis Plan Update – met with sheriff May 17th, working on list of improvements to school and policies. How would we lock down if necessary? Who would be responsible. What we need for “Go Bags,” etc. Consultant for schools throughout state. Not an alarmist, looks at community needs and makes a plan that works best for us. BF: re – Oklahoma. Assume that we don’t need a storm shelter, but are the schools required to have some sort of shelter in the event of a hurricane or severe weather? Some discussion followed, and general consensus is that there isn’t a demand for such a need.
vii. Room and Board/Transportation Policy – talking with some of the families, if there are weekly rates, what are the guidelines for students staying and not staying? Didn’t get as far into it as she wanted. Found a copy of a student handbook. Information would need to be included. Has some ideas, but could use input. Ad hoc committee? BM: Afternoon workshop? HW: That could work. BM: Could make that a part of a regular meeting and invite parents of boarding students. HW: Could come over earlier to meet to work on it. Snow days also a part of the plan. DI: recommend that we examine the objectives of resolving the problem before trying to solve the problem. Transportation and Room & Board policy is priority and needs to be in place by next meeting. We can add the snow day policy later.
viii. Student Handbook – found a copy. Working on revision/updating.
V. Discussion Items
VI. Action Item
a. Nomination and election of teachers: HC: Would like to nominate Lauren Simmons at step 1: approximately $34,388 ($42,146 budgeted) and Patience Blythe at step 7: approximately $39, 658 (budgeted $60,758). Probationary teachers (standard for all first year teachers). BM: Moved, KD: 2nd. All in favor. KC: We have a cracker jack team. Very excited! DI: Congratulate the board for choosing a good team.
b. Teacher Request for a leave of absence: HW: Lindsay requested leave of absence for June 13-14 to attend her sister’s wedding. KD: Move that we accept the leave of absence, BM: 2nd. All in favor.
c. JS: Are we looking for an art teacher? HW:
d. Authorization for super to apply for and receive state and federal funds: KC: moved, KD: 2nd. All in favor.
VII. Other Business – IG: Library received a heating bill for the repair of the heat system ($122) – library budget cut in half in the last two years. Trying to save on landscaping/gardening maintenance. Can’t rely entirely on volunteers. Library spent $400-$500 on year for mowing, etc. Would like to up the budget this year. BF: Does the library have a lease? BM: Not exactly. Relationship has always been gray. KC: Can we just contribute $500-$1000 towards a general fund for services rendered? BM: we’ve done that in the past, but maybe it’s time to define the relationship. Don’t have to do that now, but should be on our plate. BF: Should examine the insurance issues. IG: Not urgent, and we are in general in good position financially right now, but historically they haven’t asked, but maybe some of these. BF: Mowing no longer included in caretaking job, right? KD: Yes. Discussion followed. KD: Make a motion to give $625 to cover landscaping & furnace maintenance bill. BM: Would like to ask more questions. KC: 2nd. IG: Library didn’t receive any money specifically for anything outside of the building. Will look into. All in favor. HC: Ingrid can send an invoice to the Superintendent’s office. HW: Please scan copy of the bill for their records.
VIII. Executive Session Pursuant to 1 MRSA § 405 (6) (A): Personnel Evaluation – at 4:30. BM Moved to come out of executive session at 5:00 pm.
IX. HC: Moved to extend contract for one more year, salary $21,681 (2% increase over current year). BM: Move that we extend contract for one more year. KD: 2nd. All in favor.
X. Adjournment: KC moved, BM 2nd All in favor. Meeting adjourned at 5:00 pm.

<<< Return to School Committee-Minutes Selection Page