Selectmen/CIVFD Meeting 06/24/13

<<< Return to Board of Selectmen -Minutes Selection Page

Board of Selectmen/CIVFD Meeting Minutes.
June 24, 2013- Great Cranberry Island Fire House

Attendance:
Richard Beal
Phil Whitney
Charles Dunbar
Blair Colby
Mike Westphal
Norman Sanborn
Katelyn Damon
David Thomas
Richard Howland
James Amuso
Allan McCormick
Patricia Bailey
Karin Whitney
Ingrid Gaither
Ruth Westphal
Gretchen Westphal
Sarah Newell
Rob St. Germain

1. Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by Richard Beal at 1602.
2. Discussion of the Cranberry Isles Volunteer Fire Club.
1. Richard Beal gives an opening statement to the meeting saying that the meeting is being recorded and will be subject to a full set of minutes. He states that the Board of Selectmen are at the meeting to listen, and participate if necessary. He turns the meeting over to Katelyn Damon in order to follow the meeting protocol that was set up.
2. Katelyn Damon states that she would like to follow this meeting protocol to be able to keep the meeting on track and to be able to talk about the issues in a certain amount of time. She states that she would like everyone to be able to speak openly and honestly about these issues without finger pointing and blaming anyone for things that have happened in the past. She would like everyone to leave the meeting without anyone feeling negatively. She would like everyone to feel like this meeting was a productive first step in discussing the issues. She does not want anyone to think that things will be solved today in this one meeting. This meeting is just the first step in trying to find solutions to the issues.
3. Katelyn Damon hands out the protocol to follow for the meeting which is attached to these minutes.
4. The meeting will progress as follows:
1. Katelyn will discuss the problem as she sees it.
2. Statement of focus question for the meeting to be centered around. "What first steps need to be taken in order to restart the fire club into a functioning organization?"
3. Clarifying questions?
4. Free writing session, to gather thoughts.
5. 4 Discussion Rounds:
1. What did the participants hear the presenter say?
2. One assumption that seems to be part of this problem is?
3. A question that this raises for me is?
4. Have we thought about _____?
6. Presenter will review notes and reflect on the groups discussion.
7. Now What? Group and presenter reflect as a whole on the discussion. Including next steps to take.
8. Debrief
5. What is the problem we are here to discuss? Great Cranberry Island Fire Department.
1. Katelyn Damon states as you are aware the Great Cranberry Fire Department has not been very active over the past several years, but was once a very lively organization that held monthly meetings and trainings, held fundraising suppers in the summer time. The department acquired the white 4x4 pump truck. Things were going well. At some point over the past 4 years, the organization and the drive to continue with meetings and training really fell apart. This has lead to a number of issues: The trucks and gear are not being maintained on a regular basis, volunteer firefighters are not training on equipment regularly and Maine Bureau of Labor Standards are not being met. There is 68 million dollars in property value on Great Cranberry that has little to no formal fire protection. A fire response would be severely delayed while waiting for Islesford to make it over, especially on a warm summer day when most of that department is out fishing.
2. One of the big issues within the department is a lack of leadership, which is holding back forward momentum. There is also a possibility that the land under the fire house could be lost because of the wording of the deeds. The loss of the building would have huge implications on Great Cranberry as well as the town as a whole because you would need to try and find someplace to house the equipment and this would be a huge burden to tax payers.
1. Katelyn hands out:
1. Maine Bureau of Labor Compliance Directive for fire departments (attached to the minutes).
1. The directive outlines written programs that the club needs to have in place: blood-borne pathogens, PPE inspections, evacuation plans for the station. The Directive outlines yearly trainings that need to be held, such as hazmat, blood-borne pathogens training, etc. This directive is mandated by the state to be followed and is not inclusive of any firefighting training. It also outlines equipment checks that need to be completed monthly (truck checks, facility inspection, etc.) as well as yearly checks like hose testing and pump testing.
2. Great Cranberry Fire Club By Laws (attached to these minutes). The by laws outline the club itself and how it is supposed to operate.
2. Katelyn re-reads the focus question to the group. "What first steps need to be taken in order to restart the fire club into a functioning organization?" She welcomes the audience to speak to the question as well during the meeting.
3. Richard Beal is asked to speak to make sure that no background information has been left out.
3. Richard Beal states that he has a couple of corrections he would like to make.
1. Richard Beal points out the the building and land are separate on the deeds and that if the club were to dissolve the land would revert back to the landowner and the building would need to be moved to another location.
2. Richard Beal also points out that the board of selectmen has not officially appointed a chief for the Great Cranberry Fire Department in 3 years. Richard states that a chief has not been appointed so as not to give one person a major burden of responsibility when the fire department is not meeting the standards that it should be.
4. Richard goes on to talk about the fact that people need to understand that there is no fire protection at this time on Great Cranberry Island.
5. Katelyn Damon stops Richard Beal from continuing so that the meeting can be kept within the guidelines presented.
1. Katelyn asks the group to take a couple of minutes to write down any questions they would like to ask, assumptions that have been made, and possible solutions for the short term problem and the long term problems.
6. Katelyn informs the group that they will now begin the 4 rounds of discussion. The first round is for the group to discuss what they thought they heard the presenter say; assumptions that have been made, misinformation that was said, etc. Katelyn states that they will speak to this topic for 10 minutes or less if it seems that the topic is dead before the 10 minutes is up.
7. Charlie Dunbar asks if the board of selectmen are allowed to participate in the meeting. Katelyn encourages them to participate but that no decisions can be made because it is not a regular board meeting.
8. Rob St. Germain summarizes what he heard: The fire club needs to be restored in order to hold onto the facility.
9. Mike Westphal asks if there has been any moves to actually purchase the property that the fire house sits on.
10. Richard Beal informs the group that purchasing the property has not been looked into at this time. Richard Beal goes on to talk about the legality of this issue as the state has mandated that a municipality has to provide fire protection to its residents. He tells the group that the board is now down to trying to decide what kind of protection Great Cranberry needs and what kind of protection the voters willing to fund. If the Great Cranberry Volunteer Fire Club does not wish to continue than the board of selectmen will need to create an ordinance that establishes a municipal fire department. There could still be volunteers, but in this situation there would be a town charter that established the municipal department otherwise the town still needs to have two volunteer fire departments to remain in compliance.
11. Mike Westphal asks if there is a sufficient pool of candidates for fire club members. He thinks that the lack of people is the largest issue that the fire club has.
12. Richard Beal asks Richard Howland to confirm if there is a medical requirement to be a firefighter.
13. Richard Howland states that the Bureau of Labor sets the guidelines for fire departments to follow. Richard sees that there are two issues, one is that the land could be lost but also that there aren't enough people to effectively staff a fire department. He states that without adequate personnel you cannot meet the bureau of labor requirements and can face hefty fines if the department were to be audited. There are also implications if there is a fire and someone gets hurt. Richard Howland states that the biggest issue is the lack of man power and trying to solve that will not be easy.
14. Richard Beal states that in speaking with the town's attorney that the town has a large exposure with Great Cranberry Island and that there is no viable means for fire protection at this time. This leaves the board of selectmen liable, but more specifically it leaves the taxpayers liable because of the fact that the taxpayers would have to foot the bill of any lawsuit that were to take place because of the lack of fire protection, training, etc.
15. Phil Whitney states that the issues are much larger than just not having enough man power. He is concerned with the mandates that the state has handed down regardless of the size of the department. The state's bureau of labor requirements apply the same to Portland as they do to Great Cranberry Island. Phil Whitney suggests that one of the first course of actions be to meet with our state representative to work on making changes. Phil is concerned that volunteers will not want to serve the town if there is a threat that they will be sued for fighting a fire.
16. Richard Howland agrees that the regulations are very time consuming for small departments, but that it is going to be extremely difficult to try and change the bureau of labor regulations because they were all put into place because someone was killed in the line of duty before the regulation was put into place. Richard Howland goes onto say that there has to be some kind of accountability for the equipment and that truck checks and equipment checks must be done in order to ensure that the equipment is functioning properly.
17. Charlie Dunbar asks if there is a precedent of a town getting an exception from state law, such as lessening of the requirements of a fire department. Charlie Dunbar also asks what happens if the fire club does dissolve.
18. Gretchen Westphal asks what is done on Sutton Island.
19. Richard Howland replies that he is also the Chief for Sutton Island and that the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department has trained on Sutton with a portable pump.
20. Ruth Westphal asks if the bottom line of this discussion that the town will need to hire firefighters.
21. Richard Beal states that he doesn't know the answer to this question and this issue will not be solved today. He states today that the discussion is about how to keep the fire club viable. He states that if the fire club cannot remain viable, than the selectmen have some work to do. Which includes figuring out how to move the building or offering to purchase the land that the building sits on.
22. David Thomas states that the Islesford Fire Department has been battling this same issue for over 10 years. It started with the fire at the dock that luckily was extinguished and that after the fire people became interested in the department again. David says that if you take the compliance directive and look at the IVFD filing cabinet that is full of compliance stuff you would run in the other direction because the paperwork is insurmountable. You don't have to go through the academy to be a fire fighter that is protected under state law and that can protect the town as well. You do have to have a certain amount of training that can be accomplished in a year, year and half just by having meetings and trainings. If there were to be a fire right now on a nice day and four to five members were to show up that would be a start. The Islesford Volunteer Fire Department members would be able to drive the truck and operate it. But they could not go into the building. Richard, Will, Jim, and Cote are allowed to enter the building. David states that you don't start out with the thought that you are going to be an interior fire fighter. You start out doing one thing at a time and the next thing you know your file folder is full and your protected under the eyes of the state. He goes on to say that he is 62, Bruce Fernald is 62, Rick Alley is 64 and they train. He does not train on hot days and there are limitations to the things that he can do. But you just have to start at the beginning of things and go from there. He says that the the IVFD has already been through this so that the Great Cranberry Fire Department doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, and that we now have Katelyn who gets paid to keep track of the paperwork. He says that you start at the beginning if no one shows up or you have 10-15 50 year old guys, well they can get certified to drive the truck to where it needs to go.
23. Mike Westphal states that if you lined up all 35 winter residents and started to go through who could actually do anything for the fire department you would have 5-6 people who could actually do anything.
24. David Thomas states that if you had 5-6 people to start and you have mutual response and mutual aid, you've got something which is way better than nothing.
6. Katelyn stops the group on this particular discussion. And asks them to move onto the next discussion prompt which is: "One assumption that seems to be part of the problem is?"
1. Rob St. Germain asks what the requirements are for being a member of the fire club. Do you have to live on Great Cranberry?
2. Mike Westphal states that he doesn't think so and Norman says that you come to a meeting and pay your dues once a year and show up to meetings.
3. Rob St. Germain asks from the town's perspective is there a reason why the fire departments are operated independently?
4. Richard Beal states that if it is a town department that an ordinance needs to be created and passed by the voters. That has not yet occurred. All that has occurred is that the town has created five fire zones, which has started the process of bringing things under the municipality. The zones were created by warrant article not by a town wide ordinance.
5. Rob St. Germain asks about how Islesford is organized. Richard Howland replies that the IVFD has their fire club which raises money independently of the town. But that the IVFD also has a municipal budget.
6. Katelyn Damon states that for clarification the IVFD is a volunteer fire department that is supported by the municipality. There are private funds that are raised through letter writing, bake sales, etc. And that at town meeting it is voted to give both departments line items within the budget for equipment, truck purchases, etc.
7. Richard Beal asks if the IVFD is a 501 (c) 3, which it is not yet. It is a non-profit organization under Maine state law as is the Great Cranberry Island Fire Club but not under federal law. Richard Beal also answers Rob. St. Germain's question about whether anyone can join the Great Cranberry Island Fire Club by referencing section 1, article 3 of the Great Cranberry Island Fire Club bylaws: "Membership is open to all men and women residents year round or summer of Great Cranberry Island.
8. Richard Howland also speaks to the question of having separate departments. He states that we are in a really unique situation since the town is made up of several islands. He says that it would be difficult to have one large department because the chief would have to ensure that truck checks are being completed on all the department's vehicles not just some of the vehicles and that if Richard were the chief and he were to respond to a fire on Cranberry and the trucks had not been checked and someone got hurt he would be liable for that. Richard thinks that it is a lot simpler the way things are organized now.
9. Rob St. Germain states that is seems that Richard is already under that burden and to create a position and put the burden on a second or maybe third person seems unnecessary.
10. Blair Colby says that we just need to put a bridge between the two islands.
11. Ruth Westphal points out that all of the IVFD volunteers are not paid.
12. Richard Howland says that even though the department has been working on things for 10 years, he has only been chief for 3 years and he does not feel that the department is anywhere close to where he wants it to be. He says that the department is making good forward progress but that combining the departments could really set things back.
13. Phil Whitney points out the mechanism is in place to have a volunteer fire club on Great Cranberry, but that it just needs to be started up and to have the regular meetings and trainings just like is done on Islesford. Phil thinks that there are people on Cranberry who would come to meetings and trainings if they were held regularly and were structured.
14. Charlie Dunbar asks if training takes place in Bangor. Richard Howland states that the IVFD trains monthly on Islesford and David Thomas states the the 4 interior certified IVFD members trained in Ellsworth at the professional fire academy. David Thomas points out the the IVFD has had many instructors come out to the island to speak on different topics, such as radio communications, yearly trainings like blood-borne pathogens and that even Bangor Hydro has been out.
15. Richard Beal asks Richard Howland if he is certified to teach the trainings. Richard Howland states that he can legally write his own curriculum and teach courses now that he has his Instructor license.
16. Karin Whitney asks about the monthly checks that are required. Richard explains the process of completing truck checks, which includes going through a check list of things like, checking the tires, filters, and other truck components. The checks are organized by having two people per month designated to complete all of the mandatory checks and each member ends up completing the checks about twice a year. Richard states that it takes about an hour and half to complete the checks and that on Cranberry each member would just need to do their checks a little more frequently because there are less people.
17. Richard Beal asks if it is also mandatory for each truck to be outfitted to a certain extent, so many spanner wrenches, so much hose, etc. Richard Howland replies that it is important to have the correct equipment, but that having the specific equipment is more about receiving the Public Protection Class 9.
18. Richard Howland refers to the training that was held in January between the IVFD on Cranberry with Blair, Norman and Mark. Richard states that they know the trucks really well and that after that training a few hoses and nozzles were ordered for Cranberry.
19. Ruth Westphal asks Richard Howland if he has had any guys not pass their physicals. Richard states that everyone has passed and that the medical requirement is only for those firefighters that are certified to fight on the interior.
7. Katelyn Damon states that it is time to move onto the next topic which is: "A question that this raises for me is?"
1. Richard Beal asks the fire club members present (Blair Colby, Mike Westphal, Norman Sanborn and Phil Whitney), where do we go? Is this club viable or does the board of selectmen need to start looking into what the next steps are for buying the land or moving the building.
2. Blair Colby states that he is here. Norman Sanborn says that at the last Fire Club meeting that was called they could not even get seven people together to vote on anything. Norman wonders if there is some way that the town itself could join the club to keep it going.
3. Richard Beal states that the town could vote on an ordinance to create a municipal fire department, which would help to offset the deed that is currently in place.
4. Karin Whitney states that she thinks that the town should try to get out from under the deed, by either purchasing the land or moving the building.
5. Blair Colby states that even if you move the building, you still have the same problem.
6. Richard Beal cuts in to redirect the conversation and to focus the group back onto the focus question which is "What are the first steps that need to be taken in order to restart the fire club into a functioning organization."
7. There is discussion about changing the bylaws, but that there aren't even enough members who will show up so that that can be done.
8. Phil Whitney states that whether the town decides to create a municipal department or the department remains as a volunteer department, someone will still need to take on the job of being Chief and take on all the responsibilities that come with that position. Phil's largest concern is that there is not someone from Great Cranberry who is willing to take on the position of Chief and that the department no matter how it is structured will not succeed because of that.
9. Mike Westphal asks what would happen if the Great Cranberry Fire Club remains a club to offer support to a municipal department by way of funds. The town would take on the responsibility of hiring a chief and the club would act as support by volunteer services and helping to fundraise for the municipal department. Mike Westphal states that the club could be part of firefighting and training but that the club needs the towns help.
10. Richard Beal explains that the club should meet and amend it's bylaws to make it so that the club was not operating in violation of its bylaws.
11. Richard Beal goes on to say that the town has always funded the fire department and funded it well. If there was ever any equipment needed it would paid for it.
12. Phil Whitney states that this may be true for Islesford but that there is growing skepticism for Great Cranberry and that if there aren't the bodies there to man the department, why buy the equipment.
13. Blair Colby disagrees with this theory and thinks that knowing that Great Cranberry has very little manpower the department should have all the equipment necessary to fight a fire so that outside sources may use it. Blair Colby goes on to say that it doesn't make sense to ask incoming firefighters to carry equipment from their own departments because Great Cranberry doesn't have it.
14. Richard Beal states that the Great Cranberry budget was stripped of funds at town meeting because the voters did not agree with the sentiment that Great Cranberry should have funds to spend on equipment that could be used by outside agencies in the event of a fire.
15. Katelyn asks if there other ideas that have not been put on the table, any far out there ideas that no one has said.
16. Phil Whitney reiterates Charlie Dunbar's question regarding precedence on the islands with fire or emergency regulations being less stringent. He states that there are other laws and regulations that have been modified to fit the islands so why not make an exception here? He goes on to say that just because there is an exception, doesn't mean that the department can't do training.
17. Charlie Dunbar states the difficulty will be in trying to convince a legislature why he or she should try and go back and fight for this particular issue on the floor.
18. Rob St. Germain brings up the idea that you will most likely find that there are other small town's in Maine with these same issues.
19. Richard Beal states yes, but they hire out for services. He states that Aurora and Eastbrook hire out to other town's to meet their requirements.
20. Phil Whitney says that it is much easier to get a fire truck rolling from the town next door than it is from the island next door.
21. Mike Westphal states that in the fire department's defense there was a lot of activity from 1995 to 2005. Norman Sanborn and many other guys got a new building with the help of Owen Roberts. An ambulance was started which was a first for the island and two new trucks were purchased which are much nicer than the old one. Mike Westphal goes on to say that with a few more people and a little support they did a lot over 10 years and could do it again if they just had more people. Mike doesn't think that everyone should just slam the department.
22. Richard Howland speaks to the exceptions that have been brought up, especially regarding vehicle inspections. He says that with a fire truck that hasn't been inspected it can be very dangerous. He says that it is not a good idea to try and create loopholes in the law because it could be risking someone's life.
8. Katelyn states that at this time she will look over her notes and try to find what the key problems/ issues are that have been brought up in the meeting to see if they can be discussed further to see if the group can come up with a short term way of handling things for now.
1. Lack of Manpower
2. Municipal Fire Department (not short term)
3. Discussion of regulations/ exemptions could be talked about more in depth to understand exactly what Phil Whitney was thinking when he proposed this idea.
4. David's comment about starting at the bottom
5. Discussion of what is needed for support/ administratively from Katelyn.
6. Reviewing bylaws and see where they can be amended to be made less restrictive.
9. Katelyn redirects the group to speak about the short list of topics for the last 10-15 minutes of the meeting.
1. Norman states that the department needs someone to come in that knows what they are doing. The current members can start and run the trucks but as far as formal training is concerned they don't know what to do. The club needs someone to tell them what they need to start to do.
2. Mike Westphal suggests putting up a sign up sheet for people to people join the club.
3. Norman says that in the past when meetings were held in the middle of the summer the fire house was full of people who came out in support, but once things got going people went back to their TVs.
4. Mike Westphal states that the building and the trucks were all paid for by private donations, the town did not spend money to fund them. That came from Great Cranberry Island residents only.
5. David Thomas states that:
1. He would ask Katelyn to come up with a punch-list of what is needed to be done in order to get the Great Cranberry fire department in compliance as a volunteer fire department.
2. He says that he would focus his effort on the things that can be done and not worry so much about the things that can't be done because after a while you will find out that the things that you can't do you can do and maybe you will dig a few people out of the woodworks.
6. Richard Howland states that he would be willing to come over to Great Cranberry and teach firefighting skills and he also offers up Jim Amuso for his abilities. He states that the Islesford Fire Department has come up with a master training schedule for the next year and that in August the IVFD would like to travel to GCI to do street familiarization and training again like was done last winter where Blair demonstrates how to use the trucks again. Richard states that he is definitely willing to work together.
7. Jim Amuso points out that the bylaws state that members can only be from Great Cranberry. He offers this up a good point to change because he wouldn't mind becoming a member to travel to GCI for the meetings to help with numbers as long as it did not interfere with the Islesford Fire Department.
8. Phil Whitney asks how much time Jim and Richard could donate to the Great Cranberry department, say one meeting and one training a month?
9. Richard Howland states that it all depends on lobster fishing. But other than that he is willing to help out as much as he can.
10. Phil Whitney things that there should be a three pronged attack to this issue:
1. To have regular monthly meetings and to change the bylaws.
2. To have regular training where Islesford comes over to help Great Cranberry train.
3. To have the select board meet with the state representative to see what can be done in the long term in loosening up some of the regulations.
11. Blair Colby asks about a pump that is in the fire house and who can use it. Richard Beal states that it is the town's and that some equipment is donated from time to time from the park service.
12. Richard Beal states that the clubs bylaws needs to be revised again and that the Maine Bureau of Corporations needs to know about the changes. He thinks that Katelyn Damon should take a look at the bylaws and recommend changes.
13. Ruth Westphal has a list of members who were participating in the club from about four years ago if anyone would like it.
14. Blair states that the equipment that the club does have needs to be maintained and kept in good shape because your life could depend on it.
15. Katelyn states that she will work on creating a list of things to start with. She tasks Norman with working to put together a meeting. Katelyn states that she will look at the bylaws to see how those can be amended and that the department can go from there with a punch-list and start working on the small things. She also would like to find someone who is willing to stand in and give direction to the department.
16. Mike Westphal states that they just need to talk up a meeting to make sure that there are enough voting members present to make amendments to the bylaws.
10. Katelyn asks the group to debrief on this process and asks if the meeting was productive. Was it an interesting process? Productive process? Frustrating process?
1. Norman Sanborn says that the meeting was useful. He thanks the Islesford Fire Department members for traveling to Cranberry for the meeting as well.
2. Blair Colby states that he is appreciative of everyone coming over but that he hopes the next get together is not just another meeting and that he hopes things get going and that we actually get to do something.
3. Katelyn asks him what he means by do? He says that he hopes the next meeting is training or working on whatever needs to be done to get things moving forward. He wants people to realize that this is serious.
4. Richard Howland reiterates that the Islesford Fire Department will be traveling to Great Cranberry in August and asks them to get some guys together. Richard says that he will come up with a good training and that the group will actually do some stuff instead of just sitting in a meeting.
5. Katelyn Damon informs the group that the training is taking place on Wednesday, August 21, 2013. The Islesford Fire Department is leaving Islesford for Great Cranberry at 4:00pm.
6. Phil Whitney states that the bylaws need to be revised and a structure needs to be set up for the department and then the department can start tackling training. Phil Whitney says that he feels very strongly about this as a selectmen and that things are too loosey goosey. He says that you need to have structure. You need to have the club. He says that you may not be able to have a fire chief at this time, but there needs to be a club and there needs to be structure, so that people in the community know that this is a functioning organization.
7. Katelyn says that she agrees that the bylaws need to be followed but that there will not be a chief right off. She says that the department will need to start doing stuff (training) and that as the club keeps moving forward someone will be willing to step up. Phil goes on to state that you can still have a secretary, treasurer and president of the club and that you work towards that goal of having fire chief.
8. Richard states that the more people that are trained the less pressure that is on the original few guys who know how to work the trucks. He also states that once you get going with training it is not that bad and that it is a lot of fun.
9. Jim Amuso lets everyone know that the Islesford Fire Department has come a long way in 3 years time and that the Cranberry Fire Department is not that far off and can make it happen.
3. Adjournment: Richard Beal moves to adjourn the meeting at 1717. Phil Whitney seconds the motion.

Respectfully Submitted,

Katelyn Damon

6/24/13
“Peeling the Onion” Meeting Protocol

Meeting Outline:

Call to Order at 1600.
Describe meeting process (5 minutes)
What is the problem we are here to discuss? (5 minutes) Please take notes.
Focus Question: What first steps need to be taken in order to restart the fire club into a functioning organization?
Do you have any clarifying questions? These questions can be informational only. (5 minutes)
Free write on the issue- This can be: questions to ask, assumptions made, possible solutions. (3 minutes)
4 Discussion Rounds @ 10 minutes each:
What I heard [the presenter say] is?
One assumption that seems to be part of this problem is?
A question that this raises for me is?
Have we thought about ____?
Presenter reviews notes and reflects on the groups discussion. (5 minutes)
Now What? Group reflects as a whole on discussions, next steps? (10 minutes)
Debrief (3 minutes)
Was this process useful?
Frustrating?
Interesting
Total time allotted: 76 Minutes.
Bureau of Labor Standards

Compliance Directive

Directive Number: 10-05 Effective Date: 6/20/05
Revised: 7/06
Subject: Fire Department-BLS Enforcement Checklist

Purpose:

This list is a guide only. It is not a complete list of all items, but includes the “key” items to comply with the Bureau of Labor Standards inspection criteria. This list is based on the 2005 Maine Minimum Safety and Health Standards for Firefighters MRSA Title 26 and the adopted OSHA standards located in 29 CFR 1910 and 29 CFR 1926. You should refer to these standards for a more detailed description.

Facility Inspection Standard Y N N/A
Machine Guarding of moving parts 1910.212(a)
Eye wash stations (operational)(proper type) ANSI 1910.151
Flammable / Combustible Storage 1910.106(d)
General Housekeeping / Sanitation 1910.22(a)
Compressor Air Systems (mfg. Specs) 1910.134(i)(5)

*Training shall commensurate with duties.
**** (If Applicable)
NFPA – National Fire Protection Association
ANSI – American National Standards Institute

<<< Return to Board of Selectmen -Minutes Selection Page