November 13, 2013

Date: November 13, 2013
Time: 5:00 PM
Location: Islesford Fire Station
Attendance: 09

Jeremy Alley, Assistant Chief
David Thomas, President
Bruce Fernald, Vice President
Allan McCormick, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Rick Alley
James Amuso
Nick Hadlock
Jason Pickering

  1. Meeting called to order by David Thomas at 5:02 pm.
  2. Review Minutes from October 09, 2013. Allan McCormick moves to accept the meeting minutes from October 09, 2013. David Thomas seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
  3. Financial Report:
  4. Checking Account Balance as of October 2013: $18,219.25
    Expenses:
    $46.09- Database Systems Corporations- November
    $1000.00- Donation to SWHFD.
    $100.00 Northeast Emergency Apparatus.
    Income:
    3500- Truck Sale
    $373. Cash from Islesford Fair
    Account Balance as of November 2013 $20,946.16
    Allan McCormick points out that $1,300 will be coming out of the IVFD reserve. This is the insurance premium for the new pumper. It will be added to the budget for 2014.
    David Thomas moves to accept the financial report as written. Nick Hadlock seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  5. Old Business
  6. 1. 4x4 Mini Pumper
    The truck donated to the IVFD by SWHFD was sold for a total of $3,500. $100 was paid to Northeast Emergency Apparatus as a fee for facilitating the sale. $1000 was donated to SWHFD. After repairs and towing of the truck to Northeast Emergency Apparatus and the donation to the SWHFD. The IVFD made about $1000.00 off the sale of the truck.

  7. New Business
  8. 1. Water Sources at other departments.
    1. At the October meeting Katelyn was asked to see how other department's handle their water supplies. She contacted Lamoine Fire, Sullivan Fire, and Swan's Island Fire.
    2. Swan's Island has dry hydrants on fire ponds and quarries for supply. Lamoine has a few fire ponds with hydrants and a few under ground tanks. It was suggested by the Lamoine VFD Assistant Chief as well as the Swan's Island fire department member that Katelyn spoke to, to seriously look into the possibility of burying a large storage tank. They felt that dry hydrants on fire ponds were not the best route if the department could choose the type of system they would be installing. Since the IVFD doesn't have access to an existing pond- it would make more sense to look into burying a tank.
    3. David Thomas suggests that the department look for surplus tanks around the country.
    4. Katelyn is asked to look into online engineering plans for buried cisterns and to look for surplus tanks. Katelyn will report back to the department with the findings from her search.
    Sue MacNames Dry Hydrant- Committee to Complete Hydrant.
    1. Jason Pickering and David Thomas volunteer to do the work necessary to have the dry hydrant installed on Sue MacNames' well.
    Budget Subcommittee- Meeting Date?
    1. Brief discussion on when to meet. Everyone agrees to just make a phone call a day or to ahead of time to plan the short meeting.
    By-law Subcommittee
    1. Katelyn asks the department if there are any members present who would like to join a small committee to look into drafting by-laws for the IVFD. Ted Spurling thinks that he may have an old copy of by-laws for the IVFD. He states that he will look for them.
    2. David Thomas states that he will speak with Cindy Thomas to see if the historical society has any record of by-laws for the department.

  9. Monthly Agenda Items:
  10. 1. Truck Checks; November: Ricky & Nick
    2. Training:
    1. Saturday November 16, 2013: 0800-1300 New Truck Training (Lunch Provided).
    2. Wednesday November 20, 2013: Ladder Training

  11. Other Business:
  12. Setting of Action Items
  13. 1. Katelyn will look into cisterns; plans, pricing, etc.
    2. David Thomas and Jason Pickering will work on the dry hydrant for Sue MacNames' well.
    3. Budget Subcommittee to meet.
    4. Ted Spurling to look for IVFD by-laws.

  14. Adjournment
  15. David Thomas moves to adjourn the meeting at 1742. Ted Spurling seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  16. Short work session follows meeting to tidy the IVFD for the open house on November 15, 2013.
  17. Respectfully Submitted,
    Katelyn Damon