IVFD January 08, 2014 Meeting Minutes

Date: January 08, 2014
Time: 5:00 PM
Location: Islesford Fire Station
Attendance: 10

Richard Howland, Chief
Jeremy Alley, Assistant Chief
David Thomas, President
Bruce Fernald, Vice President
Allan McCormick, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Rick Alley
James Amuso
Elliott Hadlock
Nick Hadlock
Will Palmer
Ted Spurling

  1. Meeting called to order by David Thomas at 5:00 pm.
  2. Review Minutes from December 11, 2013. Bruce Fernald moves to accept the meeting minutes from December 11, 2013. David Thomas seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
  3. Financial Report:
  4. Checking Account Balance as of December 2013: $20,807.25
    Expenses:
    $48.71- Database Systems Corporations- December
    $95.42- Amanda Smith, food reimbursement (truck training)
    $172.89- Richard Howland, mileage, 306 miles @ $0.565/ mile.
    Income:
    $1100- 2 Donations
    Account Balance as of January 2013 $21, 590.23
    Town Reserve as of 12/31/13: $18,455.55
    David Thomas moves to accept the financial report as written. Jim Amuso seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  5. Old Business
  6. 1. Cistern:
    The department discusses the logistics of installing a cistern near the fire department. It is suggested that the cistern be installed in the gravel pit parallel to Maple Avenue.
    Members wonder how much it would cost to dredge the existing mini pond and line it with clay.
    Other members bring up the fact that even dredged, the pond would freeze, but the cistern would not. It is also possible to pump test out of the tank and to spray the water back into the tank.
    The cost of a 10,000 gallon cistern sans site work and barging is $12,715.
    The cost of a 20,000 gallon cistern sans site work and barging is $26,130.
    Katelyn is asked to try to contact Ben Moore to get a rough estimate of what the site work would cost for this project.
    David Thomas would like someone to measure the area in question between now and the next meeting.
    Katelyn is asked to look into the possibility of ordering two 10,000 gallon tanks vs. one 20,000 gallon tank.
    2. Old Engine-1
    Nick Hadlock had not put the old engine 1 up for sale yet. He will do this in the next few days and the department will open any bids on 2/12/14.

  7. New Business
  8. 1. SWH F350- Richard Howland informs the department that he has heard that the Southwest Harbor Fire Department may possibly be selling their Ford F350.
    2. SCBA Purchase-
    Katelyn informs the department that this was added to the agenda in case Chief Howland was ready to present the department with a proposal to purchase new SCBA.
    Katelyn states that the she and Chief Howland are not ready to make a move yet, but are moving forward on making a decision. It is estimated that outfitting the IVFD with new to us SCBA would cost around $7,000.
    3. Date for Fire Department cleanup?
    Katelyn asks the department if there is a good time this winter that everyone can get together and clean up the department. There is old hose that should be disposed of.
    It is suggested that the department meet at 1630 for the February meeting and spend 30 minutes cleaning up the department before the meeting.
    It is also suggested that it may be possible to get rid of some of the old hose with the sale of the old Engine-1.
    4. Engine-1 Familiarization
    The department will go over pumping with Engine-1 immediately following the adjournment of this meeting.

  9. Monthly Agenda Items:
  10. 1. Truck Checks; January: Allan & Jeremy
    2. Training
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014. Mandatory OSHA Training 5:00pm-7:00pm. POT LUCK DINNER

    1. Katelyn reminds department members to stop into the Town Office and give Denise a copy of your driver’s license for town insurance records.
    Katelyn asks Ted to update on the IVFD by-law search. Ted says that he could not find anything at his house and that he handed all the records he had when he was secretary to the next secretary, but that he was unsure when that was. Katelyn states that she will try to do a little more research.
    2. Bruce Fernald brings up a way to try to conserve propane at the firehouse. He suggests that the the department invest in door gaskets for the big garage doors to help keep a tight seal between the cement floor and the door. After further inspection is realized that there already is a type of gasket on the door. David Thomas says that he has some left over pipe insulation which could potentially work well over the gaskets to help get a tighter seal when the doors are closed.

  11. Setting of Action Items
  12. 1. Katelyn Damon will contact Ben Moore for a rough estimate of ground work for the cistern.
    2. David Thomas will measure the area near the road to see how large of a tank could potentially fit there.
    3. Nick Hadlock will advertise the old engine-1 for sale.
    4. Katelyn Damon will look into by-laws further.
    5. Bruce Fernald will donate a router to the department.
    6. David Thomas will add pipe insulation to the garage doors.

  13. Future Agenda Items:
  14. 1. Truck sale- Opening bids in February
    2. Cistern update

  15. Adjournment
  16. David Thomas moves to adjourn the meeting at 1741. Richard Howland seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

Respectfully Submitted,
Katelyn Damon