GCIVFD Meeting Minutes 2/10/14

DRAFT

Date: February 10, 2014
Time: 4:30pm
Location: Great Cranberry Island Fire Department

Attendance: 12
Blair Colby
Katelyn Damon
Sam Donald
Bruce Komusin
Michael Macfarlan
Rebecca Powell
Tom Powell
Norman Sanborn
Tom Watson
Michael Westphal
Karin Whitney
Phil Whitney

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Phil Whitney at 4:34pm.
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Mike Westphal moves to accept the minutes from the January 08, 2013 meeting as written. Blair Colby seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. Checking Account Balance as of January 2013: $1669.58
    Expenses: $69.93- Tyler Kuester Academy Travel
    Income: $69.93 reimbursed from Town.
    Checking account balance as of February 2014: 1552.6
    Savings account balance as of February 2014: $5649.03
    Blair Colby moves to accept the treasurer’s report. Norman Sanborn seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  6. Old Business:
  7. a. Status- GCI Fire House Security
    Katelyn Damon reports to the department that the keypads have been installed but that they are not yet functional. She explains that she had a misunderstanding with Tom Brady of Seacoast Security about how the locks are to function. The doors all need a locking door knob in order for the locks to function properly and Katelyn did not understand this at at the time of the consultation. Katelyn apologizes for the misunderstanding.
    Katelyn is directed to work with Mike Westphal to have the locking door knobs installed at the firehouse.
    b. Status- Possible EVOC training
    Katelyn discusses with the department regarding a possible EVOC training to be held on island. Katelyn explains that she believes that the training will need to take two days; one in class and one practical. She suggests that this take place over two weekends and that the training be scheduled around Tyler Kuester’s academy weekends.
    Katelyn will speak with Joe Wellman and confirm the details of this training.
    c. Status- Turnout Gear Return (Inactive Members)
    Phil Whitney asks about gear that is still with inactive members. It is believed that Judah Rome, Beverly Sanborn and David Bunker still have gear. Norman will speak with Beverly about her gear and they will try to find out about the gear that Judah Rome has. Phil Whitney agrees to speak with David Bunker to get his gear returned.
    Phil Whitney states that he is disappointed in members who brought their gear to the last training but did not don it. He emphasizes that if the fire department is going to move forward we must act as a team and we all must do things together.
    The group discusses purchasing turnout gear.
    Katelyn explains that there are a few sets of gear at the fire house that may possibly fit current members. She suggests that Tom Powell and Sam Donald stay after the meeting to see if any of the excess gear does fit. Becca will most likely fit into Beverly’s gear.
    Tom Powell moves to authorize spending up to $3,800 from private funds to purchase up to 2 sets of turnout gear. Norman seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
    It is suggested that the fire department get a bench to set in front of the lockers to help members while donning turnout gear.
    There is discussion about where gear should be kept (firehouse or in member’s possession).
    Katelyn suggests that department members leave their gear at the firehouse. She states that this is what Islesford does as well as the majority of the fire departments she has visited. She explains that members should respond to the firehouse to don gear and wait for other members to arrive at the station to respond with the first truck. She has a few reasons for recommending that members respond this way; there will not be an overabundance of vehicles at the fire scene and more members will respond with the first truck which will make the initial attack more productive.
    There is discussion regarding this topic. Tom Watson explains that volunteer firefighters should keep their gear with them, which will allow them to respond as individuals more quickly.
    There is general consensus to keep the gear at the firehouse since it is centrally located and the island is small.
    Mike Westphal moves to keep gear at the firehouse and for members to take the time to practice donning their gear; special circumstances for keeping gear in personal possession can be brought to the board. Tom Powell seconds the motion. Vote, 11 Yes, 1 Opposed. Motion Passes.
    d. Status- Firehouse Curtains
    Karin picked up adjustable curtain rods and blankets to be hung over the curtain rods if the fire department wants to black out the room.
    e. Status- By-Laws
    Katelyn will submit the by-laws and firefighter application to the town’s attorney after.

  8. New Business:
  9. a. Review of FireFighter Application
    Katelyn shows the proposed firefighter application to the group. She states that it is longer than she had originally planned for it to be after reviewing the application from Mount Desert Fire Department. Sam Donald has a few comments about how specific the department needs to be in regard to criminal background inquiries. He suggests that Katelyn ask this question to the town’s attorney.
    b. Overview of Locks System- Tabled

  10. Other Business
  11. a. No other business.

  12. Setting of Action Items:
  13. a. Katelyn and Mike will work on getting the locksets replaced at the firehouse.
    b. Phil will contact David Bunker in regard to returning his turnout gear.
    c. Norman will speak with Beverly Sanborn in regard to returning her turnout gear as well as that of Judah Rome.
    d. Katelyn will speak with Joe Wellman in regard to EVOC training.
    e. Katelyn will speak with Mark Alley about his turnout gear.
    f. Katelyn, Sam and Tom will stay after the meeting to try finding gear that will fit them from excess gear at the firehouse.
    g. Katelyn will submit by-laws and firefighter application to the town’s attorney.
    h. Katelyn to contact Steve Pagels to make sure that the commuter ferry will wait for GCI-VFD members for training on 2/19/14.
    i. Katelyn will send out a broadcast call to members to remind them about training on Islesford on February 19, 2014.

  14. Setting of Next Meeting Date:
  15. a. The next scheduled meeting of the GCI Fire Department will take place on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 4:30pm.

  16. Setting of Next Training Date:
  17. Katelyn proposes to the GCI-VFD that they attend the History and Orientation to the Fire Service training on Islesford at the IVFD. Katelyn explains that Richard Howland will be teaching the training and that GCI-VFD members can travel to Islesford on the mailboat and return to GCI on the commuter ferry.
    Training: Wednesday, February 19, 2014- 4:00pm at the IVFD. History and Orientation to the Fire Service.

  18. Future Agenda Items:
  19. Adjournment:
  20. Mickey Mcfarlan makes a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:41 pm. Blair Colby seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

    Respectfully Submitted,
    Katelyn Damon