IVFD Minutes March 12, 2014

Date: March 12, 2014
Time: 5:00 pm
Location: Islesford Fire Station
Attendance: 11

Richard Howland, Chief
Jeremy Alley, Assistant Chief
David Thomas, President
Bruce Fernald, Vice President
Allan McCormick, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Rick Alley
James Amuso
Tyler Kuester
Jason Pickering
Ted Spurling

  1. Meeting called to order by David Thomas at 5:02pm.
  2. Review Minutes from February 12, 2014. Allan McCormick moves to accept the meeting minutes from February 12, 2014. Bruce Fernald seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  3. Financial Report:
  4. Checking Account Balance as of March 2014: $21,543.21
    Expenses:
    $51.92- Database Systems Corp- February Bill
    Income:
    $1,510- Ford 900 Truck Sale
    Account Balance as of March 2014 $23,001.29
    Town Reserve as of March 2014: $22,846
    David Thomas moves to accept the financial report as written. Jeremy Alley seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  5. Old Business
  6. a. Cistern Update:
    Katelyn has been trying to contact Ben Moore; playing phone tag. She will continue to try to contact him.
    Katelyn tells the department that she has had a conversation with Gary Gould in regard to a potential cistern system for the Great Cranberry Island Fire Department. He suggested that the IVFD look into poly tanks as a cost saving measure. He also suggested that the IVFD pursue options of placing the tank near Sue MacNames dug well. Gary thought that it might be wise to try and plumb the cistern with a well to automatically refill the cistern, and the best water capacity on Islesford is between Richard Alley, Sr. and Richard Howland's. Gary said that wells are averaging 60 gallons per minute in that area were wells near the firehouse are averaging 1-2 gallons per minute.
    Gary also recommended that the department look into lining the concrete cistern or using a poly tank to allow for the cistern to be used as a potable water source for Islesford in the event of an emergency.
    There is concerns raised about the proximity of the dug well to the septic system to Sue MacName's dug well, and about the possibility of placing a cistern there.
    Bruce Fernald suggests putting together a proposal for the project and approaching Sue MacName about placing the cistern on her property.
    There is also discussion about the potential for placing the cistern in the town field.
    b. Old Engine-1 Sale:
    Truck was barged off 3/12/14.
    It has been paid for and the bill of sale has been sent.
    c. TV Purchase Update
    At the February 2014 CIRS meeting, the service agreed to split the cost of the TV with the IVFD. The CIRS voted to also expend another $75, to put toward the construction of a locked box for the TV to discourage theft and use by non fire department/ rescue service members.
    David Thomas moves to expend up to $75 for the purpose of constructing a locked box for the TV mounted at the IVFD. Bruce Fernald seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  7. New Business
  8. a. Monthly Check Review
    Katelyn goes over the required monthly checks with the IVFD again. She reiterates the importance of these checks. They are mandated by the Maine Bureau of Labor, so they must be completed monthly.
    Katelyn shows the members present where the blank check forms are kept and explains that all the checks included in each packet must be completed monthly.
    She also asks members present what she can do to help to facilitate the completion of the checks.
    b. Light out on Tanker
    Richard Howland explains that there is a halogen light out on the Tanker.
    There is discussion about whether to purchase another halogen bulb or to replace the blown light with an LED light.
    David Thomas moves to authorize Richard Howland to purchase a new LED light to replace the blown halogen light on the IVFD Tanker. Jason Pickering seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
    c. Chair/ Table Purchase with CIRS
    Katelyn presents the department with a few chair options.
    Folding Chairs range in price from $14 to $26.
    Stacking chairs range in price from $38 to $50.
    There is discussion about whether or not to get stacking vs. folding chairs.
    There general consensus of the department is to wait to purchase cheap stacking chairs at Home Depot or Wal-Mart this spring.

  9. Monthly Agenda Items
  10. a. Truck Checks; March: Bruce & Jim
    Ted is asked to stand in for Jim to complete the monthly checks with Bruce as Jim completed them in Ted's place in February.
    b. Training
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014: Training on GCI?
    Richard Howland would like to keep training on LCI this month to go over Engine-1 as we have not used it in a while.

  11. Other Business:
  12. a. Class 9 Rating
    Bruce Fernald brings up the topic of Class 9 ratings and the fact that a few Islesford homeowners have been dropped from their insurance companies.
    Katelyn explains that the department has applied for a grading from the ISO which will improve our ability to get and keep homeowners insurance.
    Richard Howland explains that we have the trucks, now we need the water source to be able to effectively put out a fire.
    Katelyn and Richard will look into the grading status as well as moving forward with the cistern project.
    b. EVOC Training GCI
    Katelyn explains that Joe Wellman will be teaching an EVOC class on GCI, April 26, 2014.
    The class will be an all day event, from about 8:30am to 6pm. Any interested IVFD members are more than welcome to join the training.
    c. Electrical Safety Course
    Katelyn has been contacted by Emera to and they have expressed willingness to come out to the island to do an electrical safety course with the IVFD and GCIVFD.
    Katelyn asks if there are any dates that may work for folks to complete this class. It is roughly a 2 hour class with some power point slides and hands on demonstrations.
    The department decides to table choosing a date until the April meeting.

  13. Setting of Action Items
  14. a. Richard Howland and Katelyn Damon will work on the cistern proposal.
    b. Katelyn will speak with Gary Gould about the possibility of using the poly tanks as cisterns.

  15. Future Agenda Items:
  16. a. Cistern update
    b. Emera Electrical Safety Dates
    c. Chairs/ Tables

  17. Adjournment
  18. David Thomas moves to adjourn the meeting at 1749. Jim Amuso seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

Respectfully Submitted,
Katelyn Damon