GCIVFD Meeting Minutes 3/10/14

Date: March 10, 2014
Time: 4:30pm
Location: Great Cranberry Island Fire Department

Attendance: 13

Mark Alley
Jim Amuso
Blair Colby
Katelyn Damon
Sam Donald
Ingrid Gaither
Gary Gould
Bruce Komusin
Tyler Kuester
Tom Powell
Norman Sanborn
Michael Westphal
Phil Whitney

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Phil Whitney at 4:32pm.
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Norman Sanborn moves to accept the minutes from the February 10, 2014 meeting as written. Blair Colby seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. Checking Account Balance as of February 2014: $1552.60
    Expenses: $26.38- Karin Whitney- Fabric for windows.
    Income: $0
    Checking account balance as of March 10, 2014: 1525.91
    Savings account balance as of February 2014: $5649.33
    Norman Sanborn moves to accept the treasurer’s report. Tom Powell seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  6. Old Business:
  7. a. Status- GCI Firehouse Security
    Katelyn Damon updates the department on the locks system for the firehouse. It is now officially operational. Many thanks to Mike Westphal for his work in changing the locks to make the keypads work.
    All fire department members are asked to pay attention to traffic at the firehouse to make sure that there is no unauthorized use.
    b. Status- EVOC training
    EVOC training is set for Saturday, April 26, 2014.
    This class is intended to to teach people how to properly maneuver a large vehicle. This class is not intended to teach people how to drive a standard transmission.
    Katelyn informs the group about driver selection and risk assessment based on assumed abilities. She presents a list of drivers whom she believes will be best at operating the different apparatus.
    Katelyn also outlines the SOGs that need to be created surrounding the EVOC class and driving program. They include:
    Driver Selection
    Annual Review of Licenses
    Emergency Vehicle Response
    Seat Belt Use
    Apparatus Backing
    Apparatus Maintenance
    Katelyn states that the class will take place on Saturday, April, 26, 2014. The class will be done in one long day from about 9am to 6pm. Approximately 2 hours will be spent inside viewing slides and the rest of the day will be spent outside driving.
    Status- Turnout Gear Return (Inactive Members)
    As of this meeting, Beverly Sanborn and Judah Rome still have gear that has not been returned. Norman will speak with Beverly regarding the return of her gear as well as the return of Judah Rome’s gear.
    c. Status- By-Laws
    By-Laws have been submitted to the Town’s attorney for review. We are awaiting to hear from him in regard to any changes that should be made.
    d. Discussion of Turnout Gear Purchase-
    Katelyn has contacted the turnout gear supplier and is awaiting a response and will coordinate a time for him to meet and fit Blair for his new gear.
    e. Complete Firefighter Applications
    Katelyn does not think the department should undertake this task yet, as the application was sent to the Town’s attorney for review and he has not yet returned his opinion on the by-laws or application.

  8. New Business:
  9. a. Discussion of monthly firehouse and equipment checks
    Katelyn presents the department with samples of the checks that the IVFD currently completes which are mandated by the Maine Bureau of Labor. They include:
    Facility Inspection (Monthly)
    Fire Extinguisher Checks (Monthly & Annual)
    Ladder Inspections (monthly)
    Truck Inspections (monthly)
    SCBA Inspections (monthly)
    PPE Inspections (annually)
    Hose Testing (annually)
    Class A pump testing (annually)
    The group discusses how they would like to undertake these checks. Currently the IVFD has a rotating schedule. Two members are assigned to a given month and they must complete all of the monthly inspections within that month.
    It is suggested that the truck checks are undertaken at the next business meeting as a group.
    b. Discussion of a 6 month training schedule:
    Katelyn suggests to the department that they pick a day of the month to hold regular monthly training sessions which is separate from their regular monthly business meeting.
    Katelyn offers the fourth Monday of the month at 430 pm as a possibility. The group comes to a consensus to hold training monthly on the 4th Monday of the month unless there is a pre-scheduled alternative training already set up.

  10. Other Business:
  11. a. Blair Colby states that he needs Tank Saver for the trucks because they have steel tanks and it helps the tanks from corroding.
    Mike Westphal moves to expend $112 of fire department funds to purchase 5 gallons of Tank Saver. Norman Sanborn seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
    b. Cistern/ Hydrant System
    Gary Gould is at the meeting to discuss a proposal that he is going to submit to Janice Smith of Great Cranberry Island. The proposal is to dig a deep high water volume well on her property next to the firehouse. The purpose of the well is to provide irrigation to an apple orchard that Mrs. Smith is going to plant on her property.
    It is possible that the well could produce enough water that it would be beneficial to the fire department as well in helping to fill trucks at the firehouse or in refilling a cistern system that is installed at the back of the firehouse.
    Mrs. Smith is going to incur the cost of the well for her orchard and depending on the output of the well she may also be interested in installing a cistern system that adjoins the firehouse.
    The department is in agreement that they are optimistic that this proposal could greatly benefit the fire department. The department would like Gary Gould to work with Janice to get her commitments and intentions for the well in writing.

  12. Setting of Action Items:
  13. Katelyn is to organize the monthly checks for the next business meeting.
    Katelyn is to prepare the programs for the EVOC driver training for review by the department.
    Katelyn is to work on driver license checks of department members who wish to drive department apparatus.
    Gary Gould has been asked to work with Janice on getting her intentions for the well/ cistern in writing.
    Turnout gear return? -Norman Sanborn
    Training March 24, 2014.

  14. Setting of Next Meeting Date:
  15. The next scheduled meeting of the GCI Fire Department will take place on Monday, April 14, 2014 at 4:30pm.

  16. Setting of Next Training Date:
  17. EVOC Driver Training- All Day: 0900-1800, April 26, 2014.

  18. Future Agenda Items:
  19. Monthly Checks
    Driver SOG's

  20. Adjournment:
  21. Tom Powell makes a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:50 pm. Norman Sanborn seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

    Respectfully Submitted,
    Katelyn Damon