GCIVFD Meeting Minutes June 09, 2014

Date: June 09, 2014
Time: 4:30pm
Location: Great Cranberry Island Fire Department

Attendance: 09

Blair Colby, Fire Chief
Phil Whitney, President
Sam Donald, Vice President
Michael Westphal, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Morrie Newell
Becca Powell
Tom Powell
Karin Whitney

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Phil Whitney at 4:37 pm.
  2. Approval of Minutes:
  3. Sam Donald moves to accept the minutes from the May 12, 2014 noting the addition of Becca Powell to the attendance list. Karin Whitney seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. Checking Account Balance as of May 2014: $1759.92
    Expenses:
    $780.00 Training Per Diem Expenses for T. Kuester.
    $1,300 Purchase of Bunker Gear.
    $165.16 Great Cranberry General; dinner expense
    $500.00 ½ of stipend for Blair Colby.
    Income:
    $945.68- TCI Reimbursements for T. Kuester training expenses.
    Checking account balance as of June 09, 2014: $1759.92
    Savings account balance as of May 2014: $3,871.38
    Sam Donald moves to accept the treasurer’s report. Karin Whitney seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

      Old Business:

    a. Status- Turnout Gear Return (Inactive Members)
    Mike Westphal has searched Judah Rome’s house and found nothing. The Rome’s have been emailed and they have stated that they did not recieve turnout gear.
    Karin Whitney will find her list of turnout gear that was originally purchased.
    b. Status- By-Laws:
    Katelyn is to receive updated by-laws by July 1st. (Update: Katelyn has spoken with the town’s attorney and the email quoted July 1st as anticipated date to recive the updated documents. This was a typo. The anticipated date to have the revisions/ suggestions is July 10. Katelyn will forward the updated information as soon as it is received.
    At the next meeting on July 14, the department will review the document, make suggestions and will make the final approval at the annual meeting in August.
    c. Status-Firefighter Application
    Please see item b. Status- By-Laws under Old Business, this will include the update of the firefighter application as well.
    d. Turnout gear purchase
    Gear has been received.
    e. Well & Septic Upgrades
    The Town is working on establishing a new easement for a new septic system for the fire house.
    No new updates on the well/ cistern system.
    f. Mounting of fire extinguishers @ firehouse
    Fire extinguishers have been mounted.
    g. Status- Commercial Vehicle Inspections
    Completed June 23, 2014 for the ambulance and “Hermosa”. Bill of sale for the green truck is still in the works. Inspection of the green truck will be completed once the bill of sale is received.
    h. Status- Class A Pump Testing- June 26, 2014 (1pm-ish)
    Pump Testing has been postponed until Friday, July 11, 2014 at 8:15am.
    i. Discussion- 06/09/14 OSHA Training Update:
    Six people attended OSHA training on 06/09/14, they are as follows:
    Morrie Newell
    Karin Whitney
    Tom Powell
    Kelly Sanborn
    Hugh Smallwood
    Ric Gaither
    Michael McFarlan
    Thanks!

  6. New Business:
  7. a. Request to use the Firehouse for the Ladies Aid Annual Fair; August 5-7.
    Discussion takes place on whether to allow the Ladies Aid to use the firehouse as has been done in years past for the White Elephant sale.
    The department discusses location of equipment and current set up of the department.
    Karin Whitney moves to allow the Ladies Aid to use the two fire department bays for the days of August 5-7. Morrie Newell seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

  8. Other Business:
  9. Firehouse Upgrades:
    There is discussion about the useable space at the firehouse and about how cramped that space is with three vehicles in a two bay garage.
    There is discussion about upgrading the unused bay to the south of the building. Michael Westphal believes that raising the roof would be cost prohibitive and difficult to do. The bay is also built on a pier foundation. The roof and flooring would need significant upgrades to store a vehicle in that bay.
    There is discussion about the purchase of the garage on the Horvath property.
    There is also discussion as to the cost of building a single bay at the gravel pit for the purpose of storing the ambulance there.
    Katelyn is asked to work with Mike Westphal to gather more information on the Horvath property and the cost to build a single bay in the gravel pit.

  10. Setting of Action Items:
  11. Katelyn to put driver logs in the fire trucks.
    Katelyn to email attorney’s updated by-laws for review before the next meeting.
    Katelyn to work with Mike on forming a proposal for moving the ambulance from the firehouse to give the department more room.
    Katelyn to speak with Eileen about the use of the firehouse by the Ladies Aid for their annual fair.

  12. Setting of Next Meeting Date:
  13. The next scheduled meeting of the GCI Fire Department will take place on Monday, July 14, 2014 at 4:30pm.

  14. Setting of Next Training Date:
  15. Monday, July 28, 2014.

  16. Future Agenda Items:
  17. Adjournment:

Tom Powell makes a motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:54 pm. Karin Whitney seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

Respectfully Submitted,
Katelyn Damon