May 19, 2014

Municipal Advisory Committee Meeting May 19, 2014
Held at Great Cranberry Fire Department

Present: Katelyn Damon, Chairperson; Cory Duggan, Secretary; Ingrid Gaither; Jim Amuso, Karen Whitney; Jim Fortune, Assistant to Selectmen
On Phone: Malcom Donald; Ron Axelrod
Guests: Bill Dowling, Harbor Committee Chairperson; Phil Whitney

• Meeting called to order @ 4:03pm
• Question about whether the minutes from February 18, 2014 meeting were accepted, tabled until next month
• A couple of suggestions made to secretary on how to make minutes a little better.
• Motion to accept April 19, 2014 minutes as amended by Cory 2nd Karen unanimous acceptance
• 2014 Work Plan
o Update given by Jim F., Harbor Committee has not met since last MAC meeting
o Bill Dowling spoke to the Islesford dock extension project, there are several moorings that are in close to the docks, they affect the dock extension, and would affect all moorings going out. A whole new mooring plan would need to be in place for the dock project to go forward.
 The use of an outside planner suggested by Ron
 Bill says Dennis Devers has supplied a book that would assist in creating a new configuration.
 There is a grant that is available to apply for that would pay for the planning process-­‐ Ron will find the grant, Katelyn & Jim are willing to work on the application
 There is opposition to hiring outside planners by both the selectmen and members of the harbor committee
 Harbor Committee will be meeting in early June and will discuss the SHIP Grant and the Shore & Harbor grant applications
 The MAC suggests that TCI hires an engineer that would work for
Harbor Committee in reconfiguring the mooring field at LCI, with the hope that a SHIP grant or a Shore & Harbor grant could be gotten. The Harbor Committee needs to be on board since the SHIP has a matching requirement
• Old Firehouse/Town office update
o Ron & Cory will go this weekend and take a look at the building and report back to the committee at the next meeting
• Road update
o Jim F. went over the spread sheet that shows the bids received by 3 different road contractors
o Discussion about differences in bid amounts

 Rings and Wellman both came out to look at the roads, Pro Seal did not come.
 Ron suggests that the engineer that made the plan should be
involved in evaluating the work being done. The warrant article allows for money to be spent on this idea.
 The MAC Suggests Jim F contact SW Cole, and ask them to give a cost estimate for them to review the road specs and make at least two inspections of the work being done. This would be to insure
the work is done correctly. The selectmen would need to approve the expenditure.
 Ron suggests holding public forums this summer to allow
residents to voice their concerns, suggestions about island roads.
• Discussion about whether a forum or a survey is the better way to do it.
• Katelyn & Ron will put a survey together that can be put out to the community as a method of getting preliminary input on the subject. They will bring it to the next meeting for review by the MAC.
o Manset alternative study
 Nothing to be discussed
o Transportation Task Force update
 Ron spoke to the multi year plan he sent out to the committee.
 Cranberry Isles Transportation Task Force will be the name of the task force
 Meeting on Saturday May 24th on GCI at the Cranberry House at 9
a.m.
• Next meeting date Tuesday June 17, 2014 at 4 pm at the Islesford Neighborhood House
• Motion to adjourn made by Karen 2nd by Cory at 4:29 pm

Action Items

• Katelyn & Ron will put a survey together that can be put out to the community as a method of getting preliminary input on the subject. They will bring it to the next meeting for review by the MAC.
• The MAC Suggests Jim F contact SW Cole, and ask them to give a cost estimate for them to review the road specs and make at least two inspections of the work being done. This would be to insure the work is done correctly.
• Ron & Cory will go this weekend and take a look at the building and report back to the committee at the next meeting
• Ron will find the grant, Katelyn & Jim are willing to work on the application