GCIVFD Meeting Minutes September 08, 2014

DRAFT MEETING MINUTES

Date: September 08, 2014
Time: 4:30pm
Location: Great Cranberry Island Fire Department

Attendance: 7

Tyler Kuester, Chief
Tom Powell, President
Michael Westphal, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Jake Kuester
Michael Macfarlan
Rebecca Powell

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:34 pm by Tom Powell.
  2. Review Minutes from 08/11/14:
  3. Mike Westphal moves to approve the meeting minutes from August 11, 2014. Michael Macfarlan seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. a. Checking Account Balance as of August 2014: $1760.06
    Expenses:
    $240- Morris Fire Protection
    Income:
    $144- Chris White, fire extinguisher reimbursement
    b. Checking account balance as of September 2014: $1520.06
    c. Savings account balance as of September 2014: $4216.06
    Michael Macfarlan moves to accept the treasurer’s report. Rebecca Powell seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  6. Old Business:
  7. None

  8. New Business:
  9. a. Discussion: Procedures for completing equipment repairs.
    There is discussion about how the department is going to go about completing critical equipment repairs between meetings.
    The white truck “Hermosa” failed to start at the August training.
    Members present tried to jump start the truck, because the voltage meter was reading low.
    The truck did not jump start.
    Blair was asked to look at the truck and to complete the repair if it would cost less than $100.
    Blair believed that the starter solenoid was defective.
    The starter ended up being the issue, which Blair replaced without consulting GCIVFD President Tom Powell, who was coordinating the repair.
    The department is still waiting to see a bill for the repair.
    The discussion surrounds how future repairs will be handled. The group comes to a consensus that at least 3 of the 5 officers must agree to completing the critical repair.
    The group will set a ceiling for the repair.
    The point person will contact either Blair or George from Newman & Gray to complete the repair.
    b. Discussion: Procedure for reporting issues to the TCI Public Safety Coordinator
    The group comes to a consensus to designate a “point man” to be in charge of overseeing repairs and informing the rest of the group of the progress on completing the repairs, including the Public Safety Coordinator.
    c. By-laws next steps- completing applications, formulating job descriptions.
    Katelyn is to speak with Southwest Harbor and Mount Desert Fire Departments to see their job descriptions.
    Katelyn is to mail the fire department applications to complete.
    d. Fundraising Letter
    A rough draft fundraising letter is handed out at the meeting.
    Tom Powell suggests that Becca Powell review the letter for style and edit the letter and represent the letter at the October meeting.
    e. Date for annual OSHA training
    The department would like to combine this training with the IVFD.
    Richard Howland would teach.
    A Saturday morning in January is suggested.

  10. Other Business:
  11. a. Budget is discussed
    Replacement costs of trucks?
    How do other departments budget for new trucks?
    Funding Depreciation
    b. The GCIVFD discusses the need for more space for apparatus at the firehouse and how to accommodate that need.
    Katelyn is to speak with the BOS and get their thoughts on how to move forward with the project.
    c. Katelyn states that she is planning a joint CPR class with the IVFD and the CIRS for this fall.
    There is discussion about purchasing more hose for the trucks, as well as adapters so that the new hose will be interchangeable with the IVFD pumper.

  12. Setting of Action Items
  13. a. Tom & Mike are to speak with Blair about the work performed to fix the white truck and get a bill.
    b. Katelyn and Tom will work on preparing a preliminary budget for discussion in October.
    c. Katelyn will work on coming up with a basic job description for October.
    d. Becca will work on editing the fundraising letter.
    e. Katelyn will plan the OSHA/ CPR classes.
    f. Katelyn will work on getting opinions on how to move forward with renovating the GCIVFD for more space.

  14. Next Business Meeting:
  15. Monday, October 13, 2014

  16. Next training date:
  17. a. Friday, September 19, 2014
    Site check for pump testing; Kevin Bland to visit GCI to look at a new site for pump testing.
    b. Monday, September 22, 2014-
    Pump testing? Dependent on the outcomes of the September 19 site visit. (Update: Kevin deemed the Ward’s pool as too difficult a site to try and test out of in such a short window of time. Plan is to coordinate with the IVFD and barge off with them to pump test.)

  18. Adjournment
  19. Michael Westphal moves to adjourn the meeting at 1750. Tom Powell seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.

    Respectfully Submitted,

    Katelyn Damon