IVFD Minutes December 10, 2014

Draft
Date: December 10, 2014
Time: 4:30 pm
Location: Islesford Fire Station

Attendance: 08
David Thomas, President
Bruce Fernald, Vice President
Allan McCormick, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Richard Howland, Chief
Rick Alley
Jim Amuso
Nick Hadlock

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:35 pm by David Thomas.
  2. Review Minutes from November 12, 2014:
  3. Allan McCormick moves to approve the meeting minutes from November 12, 2014. David Thomas seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. Checking Account Balance as of November 2014: $22,288.24
    Expenses:
    $44.38- Database Systems Corporation
    Income:
    No Income
    Checking Account Balance as of December 2014: $22,243.86
    Reserve with TCI (before audit) $18,455.55
    David Thomas moves to accept the December treasurer’s report as written. Nick Hadlock seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.
    Allan McCormick is stepping down as treasurer for the IVFD as he is moving to San Diego, California. Many thanks to Allan McCormick for his service to the department and the Town of Cranberry Isles. We will miss you! Good luck in your future endeavors!

  6. Old Business
  7. a. Cistern Update
    There is discussion about steps that need to be taken in order to move forward with the cistern. The Board of Selectmen would like to see an agreement between the town and Susan McNamee to have continued use of the well to replenish the cistern.
    Susan McNamee does not want an easement for property use. She is agreeable to a property license.
    Katelyn is to work with Bruce Fernald more to iron out the details.
    Fire department consensus is to keep things as simple as possible.
    There is discussion about connecting the cistern to a water source for automatic replenishment. This would require power at the cistern, plumbing and a pump to draw water back into the tanks. General consensus of the department is to fill the cistern via pumper and hard suction line.
    There is discussion about digging for ledge in the area that the cistern would go. Katelyn contacted Engineer Andrew McCullough for ideas on how this could be completed. He suggested hiring a backhoe to dig test pits in the field. Katelyn asked about less invasive ways, and this would require a large driller and would be costly.
    Katelyn asks department members to measure the water in Susie’s well to get a better idea of what the gallon capacity of the well is.
    There is discussion about surveying the property and finding the town field property lines. Richard Howland had to have his property surveyed in order to put in his septic. He will share his survey with the department for the southern boundary of the field. Possible other abutters can be contacted to find northern boundary of the field.
    Katelyn has spoken briefly with Bill McGuiness via email, he is in favor with the idea of the cistern and would like to be updated when more information is known.
    b. Propane Update
    The tank is full and needs still to be connected.
    c. 2015 Budget
    Richard Beal would like to know if the fire department wants more money set aside for the cistern.
    d. Recall Update
    No News

  8. New Business:
  9. Recruitment of new members
    There is discussion about possibly recruiting new members to the IVFD.
    Short list of possible people is discussed. Richard Howland will contact them to see if they are interested.

  10. Other Business:
  11. a. Locking Firehouse:
    Discussion in regard to locking the IVFD. Richard has seen a few abuses of the equipment by others. He would like to be able to have better control.
    Discussion about locking essential equipment and not the entire building.
    Department members are unsure of how they feel about the idea. They would like more time to think. Ask that this topic is added to the January meeting.
    b. Cistern Warrant Article:
    There is discussion about the warrant article that will need to be submitted to the town report.
    c. Tanker Tire
    Inside driver side tire on the tanker was flat at time of November truck check. Current air compressor could barely fill tire. Talk of purchasing larger capacity compressor. Talk of finding issue with tire. Leaking valve stem?

  12. Monthly Agenda Items:
  13. a. Truck Checks; Richard & Allan
    b. Training
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014
    Generator Training
    Next Meeting Date: January 14, 2014; 4:30pm

  14. Setting of Action Items
  15. Katelyn to contact Cody Seavey to get new propane tank hooked up.
    Katelyn to work with Bruce Fernald and Susie McNamee to establish an agreement for well use.
    Cistern bulleted list for town report.
    Department members to measure water in Susie McNamee’s well.

  16. Future Agenda Items
  17. Cistern Update
    Propane Update
    Budget Update
    Recall Update
    Election of Treasurer
    More funds for cistern?
    Locking of firehouse
    Compressor Purchase
    Tanker Tire Pressure

  18. Adjournment

David Thomas moves to adjourn the meeting at 5:21pm. Allan McCormick seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes

Respectfully Submitted,
Katelyn Damon