IVFD Minutes January 14, 2015

Date: January 14, 2015
Time: 4:30 pm
Location: Islesford Fire Station

Attendance: 11
David Thomas, President
Bruce Fernald, Vice President
Melissa Amuso, Treasurer
Katelyn Damon, Secretary
Richard Howland, Chief
Rick Alley
Jim Amuso
Nick Hadlock
Json Pickering
Tom Powell
Ted Spurling

  1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:34 pm by David Thomas.
  2. Review Minutes from December 10, 2014:
  3. Bruce Fernald moves to approve the meeting minutes from December 10, 2014. Nick Hadlock seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  4. Financial Report:
  5. Checking Account Balance as of December 2014: $22,924.48
    Expenses:
    $50.53 Database Systems Corp (Not Paid)
    Income:
    $1,150 in Donations
    Checking Account Balance as of January 2015, $24,023.95
    Savings Account Balace as of 12/31/14: $158.51
    Reserve with TCI (before audit) $18,455.55
    Bruce Fernald moves to accept the January treasurer’s report as written. David Thomas seconds the motion. Vote; Yes, unanimous. Motion Passes.

  6. Old Business
  7. a. Cistern Update
    Jason Pickering has found an alternative tank system that is fiberglass. The tank would be considerably lighter than the concrete tanks by American Concrete.
    The tank is manufactured by Darco and would cost $41,397 to have the tank delivered to NEH.
    The American Concrete tank would cost $41,791 to have delivered to NEH.
    There is discussion about the cost estimates and exactly what each estimate covers. Katelyn and Jason will need to look further into this to compare the estimates.
    The fiberglass tank has some advantages because it is extremely light compared to the concrete tank, it is also only one piece which means that it can be barged in one load. It has a few disadvantages in that it is a taller tank than the concrete tank which means a deeper hole will need to be dug to keep the tank at grade.
    There are questions about digging test holes in the field to check for ledge. Katelyn does not think this can be accomplished until permission has been given to use the field for the project.
    Jason also states that the tank should have a low water alarm to ensure that the department knows in the event that the tank malfunctions.
    There needs to also be a well agreement in place with Susie McNamee so that the cistern has a source to replenish the water. Susie is not interested in an easement for the use of the well, but a license which is an agreement that is only good for a certain length of time or until the property is sold.
    Tom Powell moves to authorize Katelyn Damon to work with Susie McNamee’s lawyer to set up the well agreement at the expense of the IVFD- up to $300. David Thomas seconds the motion. Vote; Yes. Unanimous. Motion Passes.
    b. Cistern Warrant Article.
    Katelyn Damon presents a warrant article for the department to review.
    “To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will vote to allow the installation of a subsurface cistern system with a capacity of 20,000 gallons of water on town-owned land at the Islesford Town Field. Visible to the public would be up to 4 pipes similar to those used as vent pipes for septic systems and up to two manhole covers. The pipes would be outlets, inlets and vents for the cistern. The cistern is to be constructed along Sand Beach Road directly adjacent to the McGuiness/ Moser/ Winter property. The system will be constructed at the expense of the the Town of Cranberry Isles and the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department, using $45,000 in funds appropriated at town meeting in March of 2015, $15,000 in funds held with the town in reserve for the IVFD and $20,000 in privately raised funds. Work to be completed in the spring of 2016. The cistern is to be used by the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department for fire fighting and training purposes.”
    Bruce Fernald would like the cistern to be completed in 2015 if the funds are approved at town meeting.
    Katelyn Damon will strike 2016 from the article and replace it with 2015.
    c. Cistern Bulleted List for Town Meeting
    Katelyn presents an informational sheet about the cistern for inclusion in the town report.
    The department is in favor of the sheet. Katelyn will change the timeline on the informational sheet.
    d. Propane Update
    The tank was not hooked up at the 1/14/15 meeting.
    e. 2015 Budget
    $45,000 was added to the IVFD budget by Selectman Beal to complete the cistern project in 2015 if approved.
    f. Recall Update
    Colwell Diesel was contacted in regard to the recall and they stated that the truck would need to be brought to them to complete the work.
    There is discussion about possibly barging out a mutual aid truck to provide coverage during the work.
    Katelyn is also asked to contact Greenwood Emergency Apparatus, where the truck was purchased from to see if they can offer any help.
    g. Tire Pressure Update
    Flat inner driver side tire on the tanker. Tire was filled and has not leaked since.
    All tires are resting at 85psi, tire wall states that the pressure should be at 125psi.
    New Business:
    Election of new IVFD Treasurer:
    Tom Powell moves to nominate Melissa Amsuo as the IVFD treasurer. Melissa accepts the nomination. Nick Hadlock seconds the nomination. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes.
    h. Discussion of locking the IVFD
    This item is tabled until town meeting.
    i. Air Compressor Purchase
    Discussion of purchasing an air compressor to allow for the truck tires to be filled to their appropriate pressure. Current air compressor cannot fill the tires correctly.
    General consensus is that the compressor would need to be able to deliver 200 PSI.
    Richard will talk to Jeremy and get some pricing put together.

  8. Other Business:
  9. There is more discussion about the propane tank and weather NEH Plumbing and Heating may be able to complete the connection. Jason will look at the tanks.

  10. Monthly Agenda Items:
  11. a. Truck Checks; Jeremy & David
    b. Training:
    Saturday, January 24, 2015
    OSHA & CPR on Cranberry
    c. Next Meeting Date: Wednesday February 11, 2015; 4:30pm

  12. Setting of Action Items
  13. Jason will contact Darco to inquire about trucking costs and site work.
    Bruce will be in touch with Susie McNamee in regard to the well agreement.

  14. Adjournment
  15. David Thomas moves to adjourn the meeting at 5:27pm. Tom Powell seconds the motion. Vote: Yes, Unanimous. Motion Passes

Respectfully Submitted,
Katelyn Damon