Results of the 2015 Special Town Meeting
RESULTS OF THE SPECIAL TOWN MEETING
OCTOBER 24, 2015
The Town of Cranberry Isles held a Special Town Meeting on Saturday, October 24, 2015, at the Cranberry Island Congregational Church. The Town Clerk, Denise McCormick, called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m. There were 46 registered voters in attendance to vote on the following articles:
1. To elect by ballot a moderator to preside at said meeting.
Richard Beal nominates Barbara Fernald. There were no other nominations.
6 Ballots cast, 5 votes Barbara Fernald.
Barbara takes the oath of office, and the meeting continues.
2. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will approve use of the Maine Municipal Association’s recommended Maine Moderator’s Manual “Rules of Procedures” for the conduct of this Town Meeting.
Barbara Bryant motions to approve, seconded by Sally Rowan.
Unanimous vote to approve.
3. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will approve opening the floor of this Town Meeting to all non-registered citizens for the purpose of discussion only on each of the following articles of this 2015 Warrant.
Rick Alley motions to approve, seconded by Cory Duggan.
Unanimous vote to approve.
4. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will authorize the Municipal Officers to negotiate with individuals or entities as they may deem necessary to appropriate or secure ferry transportation service from Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor to Great Cranberry Island, Little Cranberry Island, and Sutton Island, provided that the product of said negotiations, if any, shall be subject to final approval of the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles pursuant to a subsequent warrant article.
Ralph Stevens motions to approve, seconded by Joanne Thormann.
39 Ballots Cast, 33 Votes Yes, 6 Votes No. Article passes.
5. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will authorize the Municipal Officers to borrow funds in the original principal amount of up to forty thousand dollars ($40,000) for the purpose of hiring a consultant to assist in the development of a plan for long-term ferry services for Great Cranberry Island, Little Cranberry and Sutton Island, and to further authorize the Selectmen to do any and all things necessary to award and enter into necessary contracts on behalf of the Town; expend the borrowed funds; and all other things reasonably necessary to accomplish the purpose of this Article.
Sheila Krasnow motions to approve, seconded by Joanne Thormann.
After a lengthy discussion, Evelyn Boxley motions to call the questions, seconded by Mitchell McCormick.
30 Votes to Call the Question, 21 Votes Yes, 9 Votes No.
42 Ballots cast for Article 5, 19 Votes Yes, 23 Votes No. Article 5 does not pass.
At 10:38 a.m., Sheila Krasnow motions to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Katherine Fernald.
Unanimous vote to adjourn the Special Town Meeting.