Results of the Special Town Meeting-September 23, 2014
SEPTEMBER 23, 2014
There was a Special Town Meeting held on September 23, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. at the Islesford Neighborhood House.
The meeting was called to order at 2:04 p.m. by Town Clerk, Denise McCormick.
The Articles were acted upon as follows:
1. To elect by ballot a Moderator to preside at said meeting.
Richard Beal nominated Christopher Hathaway.
4 Ballots cast, 4 Votes Christopher Hathaway.
The Town Clerk administered the oath to the Moderator, and the meeting continued.
2. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will approve the use of the Maine Municipal Association’s recommended Maine Moderator’s Manual “Rules of Procedures” for the conduct of this Special Town Meeting.
Richard Beal motions to approve, seconded by William Dowling.
Unanimous vote to approve.
3. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will approve opening the floor of this Special Town Meeting to all non-registered persons for the purpose of discussion only on each of the following articles of this warrant.
Ralph Stevens motions to approve, seconded by Richard Beal.
Unanimous vote to approve.
4. To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will amend Article 15 of the March 15, 2014 Town Meeting, as amended and approved at that meeting (“Article 15”), so as to permit the cost elements of the approved renovation projects to be adjusted without increasing the aggregate cost of the projects, by deleting all of the text of Article 15 that follows the words, “. . . as may be necessary or appropriate to accomplish the Project financing,” and replacing the deleted text with a period (“.”), as follows:
To see if the voters of the Town of Cranberry Isles will authorize the Municipal Officers to borrow no more than $610,000 to finance the costs to renovate, repair, and improve the Ashley Bryan and Longfellow school buildings and related facilities (the “Project”), and further to authorize the municipal officers to issue general obligation bonds of the Town as security for the financing, which bonds may be made callable and to take any and all actions, as may be necessary or appropriate to accomplish the Project financing, (TEXT AS FOLLOWS TO BE DELETED) and further that the Project shall include the following elements to the extent of available bond proceeds:
1. Administration and management of the Project-costs not to exceed $64,800;
2. Longfellow School improvements, including demolition and waste disposal, sprinkler and other fire safety improvements, elevator and other handicap accessibility improvements, building code compliance improvements, structural improvements, lead remediation, water remediation, staircase improvements, boiler replacement and boiler room construction, bathroom relocation, classroom construction and renovation, interior and exterior painting, and siding and trim replacement-costs not to exceed $450,050 of bond proceeds; and
3. Ashley Bryan School improvements, including lead remediation, exterior wall cladding replacement, roof overhang cladding, exterior painting, and handrails-costs not to exceed $91,500 of bond proceeds.
Richard Beal motions to put Article 4 on the floor, seconded by Barbara Meyers.
After a lengthy discussion and a presentation from Sealander Architects, Ralph Stevens motions to call the question, seconded by William Dowling.
Majority vote to call the question, 1 vote to oppose. The Moderator called the question.
Richard Beal motioned to request vote by paper ballots, seconded by Nanette Hadlock.
Majority vote to approve paper ballots, 1 vote to oppose.
There were 27 votes cast to approve Article 4, 26 votes YES, 1 vote NO.
Article approved as amended.
Tom Powell motions to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Richard Beal.
All approved. Meeting adjourned at 2:48 p.m.
Respectfully Recorded and Submitted:
Town of Cranberry Isles